Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1992 half ton cab removal

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by newyorkin, Jun 9, 2005.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

So could it be as easy as a bunch of mount bolts and a couple harnesses? Will it be a problem to line it back up when I put it back on?

I'm thinking it might be an easier way to swap my tranny out. I'm laying out the job, and lining the tranny up from underneath, on the dirt, with a floor jack is going to be a disaster...

I'm also thinking I can sand blast and undercoat anything I see and the underside of the cab while I'm at it...

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i have removed a few 88-up cabs. the bolts love to break in the floor. and thay are heavy . bigest problem i have found is the rear cab mount on the frame rusts threw and the bushing drops threw. this is what i did to fix it. hope this helps. big round 1/8 plate welded to the frame mount to make new hole.

new mud truck 013.jpg

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Sweet... So it's fairly straitforward?

We yanked the entire intact harness from the donor truck (a 93), so I know where wire needs to be separated from the cab. How about the fenders, I guess they're attached to the cab... I should probably get off my arse and go look, too...

4. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I have no experienece, but i say drive the truck up on something high, and don't pull the cab.

If those bolts break off, or the nuts in the body, or whatever, it will be a pain in the ass.

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

THanks. I went out and looked around at it last night, and it looks like it will take way more effort than just breaking my knuckles doing it from underneath. The truck sits pretty high as-is, so I may just drive all 4 wheels onto cinder blocks or something to do it.
    I'm a little bummed, I was hoping I could replace anything rusted out inder there, but it just looks like a week long project from that angle, and I need to get it done in a day...