Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1993 GMC wont start

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84mudmachine, Aug 15, 2006.

1. 84mudmachine

84mudmachine 1/2 ton status

My GMC will not start this morning. I came home last night, all ok, then I went to start the truck this morning, and no go. I took off the air filter lid, and tried to start it and pumped tha gas a few times, and I don't even smell the gas. I think it is the fuel pump. Will a fuel pump work one minute and go bad the next?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Anything can just fail, sure.

Not real likely for the pump to just fail though, are you sure the injectors are pulsing when its cranking? Pumping the gas will do nothing with TBI, since there is no accelerator pump.

There are plenty of posts here on how to check for injector pulse. Could be fuse(s), wiring issues, etc. Good visual inspection is a good first start.

3. 84mudmachine

Wouldn't you still get gas into it and be able to smell it. You should be able to hear the pump clicking.

4. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

When I had this problem on my '88 I changed out my pickup coil and ignition module in the distributor. Fixed it right up.

If either of these isn't working you won't get any fuel at the injectors or spark.

Rick

5. 84mudmachine

I called a friend that is a mechanic, and he said I should be able to here the pump making a noise when try to start the truck. He has seen numerous pumps go out like mine, all at once. He said it could be the sieniod, but that is rare. I plan on taking the four bolts off the bed and take the filler tube loose and get to it that way, I have over a half of tank of gas in the tank. I went up and bought an A/C Delco pump and filter for $80.

6. 84mudmachine

When I got home yesterday the truck started, so I went inside and changed. I came out and it wouldn't start again, so I went ahead and droped the tank and changed the pump. It is all well now, but it was a pain in the butt to do with a half of tank of gas. I took me about 3 hrs to do the job,not bad.