Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1995 2500HD 14FF? or not

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by Fubeca, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

I'm probably ditching the blazer and buying a 1995 2500HD 4x4. Does anyone know if it has a 14BFF or if it is the semi-floater? I can't remember -- its been too long since I've seen one.

It does have the 8 lug axles and the fender flares -- and the 4L80E :)

2. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Small blocks got the semi float, big block and diesels got the FF. Unless you are set on the one you are looking at, you might want to take a look at a 96-up, which have the Vortec injection and more power on the small block and big block engines.

3. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

I don't know if I'm set yet. I know the owners well. It has about 100,000 miles on it and is in pretty good shape. He wants $5,000 for it. It is a small block, everything works and it has all the options, and no rust. They've been pretty meticulous about maintaining it. I'll have to go down and have a look -- I haven't seen it in quite some time.

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

if the price is good buy it and swap a ff in the truck. i have a 96 vortec and i think my old 88 tbi had more balls than this 96 dd. but the 96-up are full roller motors. 88-up were setup for that but trucks didnt get them.

5. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

I know prices on the straight axle stuff --- but I haven't been paying attention to the IFS? Is that a good price? Is there anything I should be looking for?

They used to have 2, a '92 and the '95. The '95 seems to have a lot more power. I'd like to get a '96 or newer but am not sure if it is worth it.

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

watch for the rusty areas like all and the cabmounts on the frame rust out and cab drops threw. i have seen 1-2 with the frame rusted out at the end of the boxed section under the cab. and the 88-up body trucks have the rear spring maineyes formed to tight at factory and when bushing put in , it puts a lot of stress on the wrap . and over about 10 years thay strech and break the main eye on the spring. look for the spreading on the eyes and if the gap is bigger than 1/8" plan on springs soon. plus the rear brake line thats behind the gas tank area rusts out and blows vary comon. the fuel tank sender unit rustes out bad and the lines also. and if 4x4 all frt end parts , ( balljoints,ideler arms and pitman arms.) these are the major problems i see every day at the shop i work at. the frt ends eat the parts in them. other than that 5k aint bad if cleen and some problems. but i like solid frts my self not ifs crap. hope this helps you .