Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1996 Subyrban Low Voltage

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84blazerwhoopee, Jul 12, 2004.

1. 84blazerwhoopee

84blazerwhoopee Registered Member

Hi Guys!

I Have a 96 burban 4WD stock, with an entertainment system installed. Car is stock all the way, but the system for the kids is an aftermarket that looks good.

Almost 12 months ago the alternator went bad, my wife took it to Pep boys amd got the best one they had installed. I never thought much about it as I was on the road.

Now the voltage has dropped to 11.7 volts, and occasionally the batt light comes on. I checked the leads and engine off the batt shows 12 volts, and engine on with lights on 11.7. Wifey says the voltage gage used to read about 14 with all the gizmos running.

The alt is under warranty, but they are gonna charge me for a diagnostic before they decide to replace the alternator, if they do at all.

Any suggestions? I am gonna clean the batt leads this afternoon.

Also, the Peppie guys charged me 7.90 each for A/C and power steering interference stuff. Is that for real? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Randy /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

2. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I hate that crap!!! Just stand behind your work and be done with it. There is next to nuthin to checkin the chargin system. Make sure all your ends are good. The voltage across your battery should be at least 13.5 volts with the engine runnin and as you say all the gizmos runnin. Prolly more like 13.8 to 14. If you have clip on ammeter or can borrow one that would be best. Just slip it over the chargin wire right after you start the truck. You should see lots of charge that tapers off the longer the motor runs. You could also run by Autozone or Checker and they'll put diagnostic type equipment to use to find out if your alternator is alternating.

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

In regards to your alternator-

It should be putting out anywhere from 13.8->12.4, under a full load. (AC, Lights, Brake light, Radio, etc.)

You should also do a drain test with the engine off-. Leave the lights on, the battery should hover around 12.8- Mind you if your battery has been low for a long time, your battery might be shot too.

Im pretty confident however, that your alternator is just going.

Oh yeah, those interference things-

Do they work? Yes. THey are just ferious magnets wrapped around. 7-8 bucks each is a little high however.

4. 84blazerwhoopee

84blazerwhoopee Registered Member

How do you get interference from a dang steering pump? I can understand anyting that generates a field, but, sure as the dickens they charged her for a filter for the pump?

Thanks again for the info guys....

Rando /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif