Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1996 truck "just died"

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by dyeager535, Mar 12, 2002.

1. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

1996 truck \"just died\"

Friends truck, new cap/rotor (after the truck died without warning) fuel pump works, coil appears to be putting out strong voltage when it should be (like its firing for all cylinders) weak spark at plugs. Won't start even with ether.

Would like any troubleshooting procedures.

Speculation, but plugs/wires *shouldn't* be the cause, simply because of the nature of the failure. At least thats my thinking. However, with strong voltage from the coil, what else can it be?

Thanks

2. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Re: 1996 truck \"just died\"

Even with weak-spark it should atleast- start, right?

I'm not a drivability guy, So take it with a grain.
    I've seen the drivability guys pulling dist out, I'm not sure why (I should reall pay closer attation, but I've got my own work to do-) I thinks it's a bushing problem, or something like that. Really not sure, but I'll ask 'em.

I also know the fuel pumps take a dive quite a bit, Could it be low-fuel pressure? Possibly a worn pump or clogged filter?

Couple of shots in the dark, hope it helps, somehow.

3. dyeager535

You would think it would start...even with ether it won't though, that tells me that it's either sparking at the wrong time, or that the spark is so weak the compression is "blowing it out". At least that sounds good : P

Fuel pump *should* be good, it comes on when the key is in the run position, and apparently acts "normal" with noise until the system is pressurized. It is a newer pump as well though.

Visibly weak spark at the plugs, but after the coil sounds really like bad wires, but the sudden death is odd. Heck, can't even find out if the truck has an ignition module in it! Glad my truck falls under the 73-91 board, lot more people in there.

4. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

All I can think of is to check the fusible link. My cousin had the same problem after doing a tune up on his 91. Even though there is a big diffrence between a 91 and a 96 (TBI vs. SPFI) it might be worth checking out. I belive it ran along the firewall near the starter.

5. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

I got nothin'

Not enuff info to even give it a guess, I asked the Drivability guys if they have seen anything common, other than fuel pumps they said they haven't seen repeted "cranks-no-start" problems.

Sorry...

6. azjimmy

azjimmy Registered Member

Sounds like poo-poo coil, I just did one on a 97 Jimmy acted exactly the same way, I changed the cap and rotor first, nothing, changed the coil, boom sterted right up! It also showed weak spark and plenty of fuel, new coil at checker $35 bucks. Pat

7. tlarsw

tlarsw 1/2 ton status

Is the 96 an OBD-2 or ALCL/ALDL system?

If ALDL you can get the computer codes off of the check engine light.

8. dyeager535

Lets see...94 I'm pretty sure was last year of OBD-1 (which is what my scanner works with, darn) so it is OBD-2.

To tell you the truth he hasn't asked me anymore about it, but I bet he's just been driving another vehicle.

Since it just "stopped running" I'd be surprised if there were any actual codes stored. Could be wrong, OBD-2 likely has more info available/sensors than OBD-1, if it were something like a dead module or coil (for instance) I wouldn't think a code would be thrown. Could be wrong of course, NO experience with OBD-2.

Thanks for the input!

9. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

OBD-2 is/was federal required as of '96 and up. Some makes/models are equiped before the '96 dead-line (Cavaliers/S10s -I think)

Dyeager535:
    - I still got nothin'