Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1997 k1500 probs!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by swampers83, Jul 25, 2000.

1. swampers83

swampers83 Registered Member

I know this page is for K5's but i have a 97 K1500 Z-71 and have had some major problems within the last 2k miles. First, the a/c went out at 66k miles($700) 2nd, transmission TH4L60E went out at 67.5k miles($1700) and just this week at 68k miles the whole fuel Inj. syst went out. only 20psi in the syst!! ($1500)!!! What the heck is happening! All the work for each problem was done at a different shop. Ok, i am a chevy fan but i am selling this piece of junk! what type of truck requires $4k in repairs at only 70k miles! The vehicle is just a daily commuter and not even a weekend wheeler. Does this sound strange to ya'll or doe you see this a lot? thanks

chevy-like a rock

2. Canuck

Canuck 1/2 ton status

Get a Blazer!!!

Go Wide or Stay @ Home

3. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

WOW, that sounds a little strange for such a new truck, I didn't start having problems with my K5 untill 137,000 miles, replaced the motor, AC and had some axle problems (go figure). I still am running the factory 700R4 and NP241 tcase with a 170,000 miles now. I would say if you still like the truck, keep it, it sounds like you replaced most of the major components and the rest is fairly new still so it should last a while (sound of knocking on wood).

Good luck

Steve Fox
    90 3/4 ton K5
    [​IMG]

4. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Who cares?

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350

5. azgmc

azgmc Registered Member

70,000 plus miles and its not a daily driver?

I would agree with Steve. I've seen too many people sell their vehicles after major repairs because they are tired of them breaking. What they dont understand, or maybe its just me, is that all of the major things have been done and there may not be too many more repairs immedietly down the road...

6. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

But if you want to sell talk to me I mit give you somethen to take it off your hands [​IMG]

Keep it you have gotten most of the bugs out of it now so drive on!!!

I understand the jeep thing I drive a BLAZER!!

Ken

7. swampers83

who cares? i care! I just have been very disappionted to finally buy a chevy that will last for 150k + miles and to see it have these problems at only 70k. If it was at 150 then i might understand. These events are leeding me to buy a different brand. My friend has a dodge with 120k miles and nothing has had to be replaced. crap, i never thought i'd be giving dodge props over chevy! You see, i used to rag my buds all the time that drove fords and dodges about how chevy is the longest lasting on the road. Now they are giving tons of crap.

chevy-like a rock

8. Yeah, that is a few too many problems !! What are you doing with it, towing trains or houses? Maybe driving around in low gear? I just went over 70,000 on my Tahoe and last week put in a A/C compressor that locked up.(800 bucks). The new stuff has so many damn gadgets a person can't hardly fix it themselves anymore and parts aren't getting any cheaper. Hang in there, you've pretty much swapped out everything. What was wrong with the fuel injection? The Vortech 350's are great, this is the first I have heard of any problems with them.

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>IF YOU'RE SCARED, SAY YOU'RE SCARED !!

9. swampers83

The truck is only driven for transportation and carries lawnmowers for a company. just about 150lbs of extra weight.I am serviced it with nothing but the best synthetic fluids in a places. the fuel inj. was leaking all over the place and was shot. man, i just love the power the motor has. for a stock engine it sure has got some umpphh. I don't know why it has so many problems? Is it possible that it was just a lemon from the factory? thanks

chevy-like a rock

10. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

Carries lawnmowers you mean it goes from site to site carrying lawn mowers?as in major stop and go ?also where was the fuel injection leaking from it mostly has gaskets and compression fittings these are easy to fix and replace as for your a/c it has r134 why didnt you fix it your self?and that stop and go will kill at trans especially getting hot .also synthetics are a huge waste of time the major problem is wash out (gas blow by)in your oil also trans fluid burning most people dont use it because it doesnt workyou still need the 3000mile change.