Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1997 tahoe .Running rough..ses light on

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by bckinblk, Mar 13, 2004.

1. bckinblk

bckinblk 1/2 ton status

I started it yesterday and it ran rough .Like its skipping.Ses light stays on..I can't find anything wrong ..Oil looks normal ..all plugs seem good..Is there a way to jumper pins like my 88 k-5 .?? Thanks for any info...

2. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

You have to have a OBDII code scanner to get codes and trun off SES lamp on your ride. Autozone will pull your codes and reset the lamp for free. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. bckinblk

bckinblk 1/2 ton status

Cool thanks for the help.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. bckinblk

bckinblk 1/2 ton status

I went to auto zone and had it scanned .It threw 3 codes 2 for number 5 cyl misfire and 1 for tps low..So I replaced the tps and put in new plugs and wires .And it still runs like [darn]..I also noticed that the temp gage is running hotter than usual and it smells like antifreeze..What else could it be??? Thanks again... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

5. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a blown head-gasket. You're probably getting coolant in the #5 cylinder and thus the hotter running-temp, anti-freeze smell, and crappy performance.

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

It could be as simple as a leaking intake manifold gasket allowing coolant into the cylinder. The Vortec 350's are infamous for that little design "feature". /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

7. bckinblk

bckinblk 1/2 ton status

After days of research that is what I am thinking is the problem...The only dilemma I see is those new style fittings at the end of the gas lines and water spout in the intake manifold..What is the best way to remove them without destroying em??Anyone know??

8. bckinblk

bckinblk 1/2 ton status

I just bought the new gaskets and a new fuel pressure regulator .I will install them sometime this weekend..Thanks for the help... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. bckinblk

bckinblk 1/2 ton status

Update..Ok today I took apart the upper and lower intakes.I found that indeed the gaskets were leaking in 2 spots so that takes care of my antifreeze leaks.But inside the plenum there is a spider looking thing that has the fuel injectors coming off of it .All the injectore look clean exept for # 5 is dirty and blackened ..This is my misfire problem I bet..But what the hell is this thing called?? Do I have to change the whole unit or can I just change #5 wire?? Thanks again for any info in advance.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

injector harness?

11. bckinblk

bckinblk 1/2 ton status

Cool thanks..The only thing I need now is the correct bolt pattern and torque specs and I should be able to put it back together by the weekend..Thanks again /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif