Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1998 Vortec 454 V-8, Should I keep it?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Klink K5, Sep 19, 2003.

1. Klink K5

Klink K5 1/2 ton status

I got a 1998 vortec 454 as a rebuildable core motor, I was just wondering if you can get a aftermarket intake or any intake to seal up on it to make it carberated? Just installing a new vortec and the core is worth 450.00, I can return it and get my money from Gm or just do I keep it for a rainy day ?1998 Vortec 454 V-8, Should I keep it? Should make good power with a Holley on it. What do you all think? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

Why not build it up feul injected??

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I'l trade for an older 70's era 454 I have for your 454. I've been wanting to use a Vortec 454 for my '85 and yours would work.

My dad has a '97 K3500 dually crew cab and it has the 454 Vortec. I love driving that truck since its so long! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

get rid of it. Ill take it off your hands if you want. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

keep it..the Gen VI blocks make awesome engine...4-bolt main, 1-piece RMS, factory roller lifters, priority-main oiling system and better cooling...KEEP IT...

6. Klink K5

Klink K5 1/2 ton status

Ok this sounds all good, but what kind of intake is going to bolt up to it for a carb. The heads are missing the top two bolt holes on each side or those are not as important on a old intake to a new hed design or just do I drill and tap em? Any input? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

7. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The heads are missing the top two bolt holes on each side or those are not as important on a old intake to a new hed design or just do I drill and tap em? Any input? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Don't bother, there not too imortant, A lot of aftermarket ones don't have them. The dart pro-1s and victor manifold on my car don't and I've had 0 problems.

8. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Ok this sounds all good, but what kind of intake is going to bolt up to it for a carb. The heads are missing the top two bolt holes on each side or those are not as important on a old intake to a new hed design or just do I drill and tap em? Any input? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Edelbrock makes manifolds for the newer Vortec 350's.. I know. I have one.. I think they make one for the BB.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Nope edelbrock doesn't make a Vortec 454 intake.

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

They probably will eventually if they don't now.

11. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Again, why not keep the EFI? It's an awesome system and a computer can be found in the junkyard for pretty cheap...

12. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

FortCollinsRam just put an EFI BBC into his Blazer and from what he said it runs like a raped ape. He hopped it up a bit and he said that it is stout. Spins 37's with 3.73's. I am sure the Discount tire guy will love to hear that. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif