Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1999 1500 Chevy Brake Lights

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by abvgrndsub, Mar 28, 2006.

1. abvgrndsub

abvgrndsub Registered Member

Need a little advice on where to go next with my search for reason of blown fuse. My brake lights on my truck went out. I checked the fuse in the cab and that fuse was good but the one in the engine compartment was blown. I change it and the brake lights started working again. Drove for about 2 minutes and no workie again. I checked all the wiring that was visable and couldn't find any loose or exposed wires that might be grounding. Changed fuse and same thing happened again. Anybody have any idea where to check next before I have to go to a shop. I haven't installed anything new or used the trailer light connection so I'm at a loss. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

My reverse lights were causing the fuse in the cab to blow - it was the wiring harness for the trailer. Over time, the wire just rubbed bare and shorted out. May disconnect that and see if the fuse still blows.

3. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

Is this a silverado style truck, or the older style? Take the tailamp out and inspect the circuit board that the bulbs are attached to. They are common to burn out and short. Also, like cbbr said take a look at all of the trailer wiring.

4. abvgrndsub

abvgrndsub Registered Member

Yes it is a silverado truck. Can you elaborate more on checking the circuit board. Do you mean the connections that touch the bulb? I checked all the trailer wires and them all seem fine and none of the trailer fuses seem to have blown out. After I changed the fuse and the lights started working I moved all the wiring around to see if the fuse would blow and nothing until I drove it all three times ,thats what puzzles me.