Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1999 chevy z71, what to do with it?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stoney126, Aug 18, 2006.

1. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

hey all I was going to trade my 99 chevy 71 standard cab in for a trailblazer for my wife. But they only went as high 5500 for the trade in, I figured I could at leat get 7k for it.
    Anyway Has anyone converted these trucsk into a good reliable wheeler? Im not looking for the ultimate rock crwaler but something that is pretty capable of handleing moderate trails.

I would swap out the ifs for d44 or D60 and take out the 10 bolt in trade for a 14. how would this effect the sensor for the abs and what ever the else is down there? it's got the 5.3L and 4l60e

This seeems to me like a good idea FI, Od trans that I hade rebuilt with stronger goodies. Besides the axle and t case I dont see why this wouldnt be a good idea as to buying a older pickup and swapping about the same stuff but not have FI. or od trans?

I know im issing something here some info would be much appreciated:D

2. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Unless you want to run something bigger than 38's, find a 70's 3/4 ton ford donor and swap the front and rear under your Z. Use chromoly shafts in the from with Super Joints or something similar (Just say NO! to Ox joints). In the rear, upgrade the 60's wimpy shafts with the 35 spline kit from randy's. Use any one of the readily available kits to swap the from axle where your IFS used to be. I think it's a great idea.

3. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

There is no real feasible way to keep the ABS if you swap to a 14 bolt/60 or 44. It is possible, but it is a lot of work and not worth it IMO.

4. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

ya I guess if your wheeling you dont reallt want antilock brakes. I just dont want a billion dash lights flickering like crazy.

So a ford drivetrain? Might give that a shot.

I looked at selling it privately but even then it seems like so little I would get for the truck. And it really is a great truck and having trouble with the idea of parting with it. But in stock form it isnt capable of much but fishing trips :D

Thanks for the help all.

5. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

so is he gona need a custom adapter to mate a ferd 205 to his 4l60e? hes prolly got push button 4wd, he'll need to cut a whole for the shifter...no biggy. DO IT!

6. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

oh ya, its push button 4x4. Talking it over with the wife. She justs sjakes her head:D

7. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Do it but expect it to cost quite a bit. 60 up front if you can afford it, if not a 3/4 ton 10b or 44 . Leaf springs. Spend time and money on the steering. Keep your engine transfer case and trans. 14b ff rear. Put 5.13s in them. Detroit in the rear and an ARB or Ox or other selectable locker in the front. Shackle flip in the rear, with a lift spring to match the front. Then either a flatbed or bob the bed for better departure angles. Add a winch or two and you got one heck of a cool rig. If you don't have a welder buy one and learn how to weld. Listen to everyones ideas then ignore them all and build exactly what you want. Oh and my vote for tire size is 38s

8. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Go with a Ford front, that way you can use your t-case. I wanted to keep the ABS on my truck when I was gonna do the SAS, and saw where something machined the wheelhub to put the tonering on it. I know on 1/2 IFSstons you can see the tonering, but never paid attention where the sensor was. I dont think keeping the ABS is expensive as some places makes it out to be. Quigley does it to their SASs, that's where I saw the hub. A 3/4 HP44 and even a 60 from the same truck would work, you said that you weren't building a hard core or crawler...

9. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

You might do better on the total cost if you traded in the Z71 on that trailblazer, and just bought an already-modified rig from a private party. It's almost always cheaper to let someone else do custom work, then sell it to you at a loss.

10. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

but everybody's got a lifted k5/pickup:rolleyes: :haha:

i say look into it and price it out before you decide. if your truck has been well taken care of, it should last a very long time. the newer trucks have more conviences than the older ones, and sometimes they are nice to have when its really cold or whatever. NOT everyone has a lifted SAS newer chevy.

if it turns out to be a lot of money then trade the truck in and buy an already built rig for cheap

11. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

Do It.