Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

$1K on an engine, what would u do???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by XHitman396, Jun 17, 2003.

1. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

scenario: stock 350 with 150K miles on it and 3.73's, which MAY get 4.10's in the future, getting ready for 35's, and its barely powering 31's, no passing power at all. so what would you do to your engine for $1K, this includes rebuild, but i will do all the work except machine work of course, and would LIKE to keep the ol 87 octane too, thanks for your help, and one more thing, i was thinkin borin it out, which would you advise, 30 or 60 over? is it worth it, thank you in advance....

2. 1972Blazer

1972Blazer 1/2 ton status

I build engines all the time, there are a few questions you need to ask yourself first. Do you need to pass a visual or sniffer smog test? Is it a daily driver? What you want to have when you are done?

It may be easier and cheaper to get a target motor and transfer all your stuff to it. Then you can sell your long block and get some of your money back. This will probably have you at less investment in the end and a Chevrolet 3 year 36,000 mile warranty.

If you want to just build an engine start on one you dont have to rely on first. Just an idea!

3. XHitman396

yes, its a daily driver, no, there arent any smog or sniffer tests, i want a reliable, and respectively powered engine, the most i can get for $1000. im tired of having the slowest vehicle around, from a dead stop and jus stompin the gas, no brakes, and getting decent spinnage would be nice, compared to not anything close right now. ive been thinkin about this for a long time, and finally, the money is here, so i need all the help i can get, and i gotta 700r4, i will be wheeling, but only mud, so no need for 98% bottom end and 2% top end, and ive got a mechanic to help me for free, so thats taken care of, and thanks once again for your help, ask any question you want that could help...

4. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I would rebuild the bottom end basically stock. .030 at most. Then spend the rest on a nice intake and carb. Or fuel injection parts (injectors, etc.) if its fuel injected. And definately exhaust. Headers to a nice set of mufflers out the back. And if you have some left over, throw it into the heads.

Ken H.

5. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

Personally, I don't think a $1000 is gonna get you as far as it sounds like you want to go. As soon as you delve into this project, you're gonna wind up needing to spend more money than you originally planned on.

I'm with 1972Blazer, get a good bottom end rebuild or Target long block (which alone will wipe out $1000-1500 right away). Then, as time and money permit, you can buy and install the go-fast stuff (cam, intake, headers, ignition) onto an already stout bottom.

I'm sort of in the same situation, I can only afford to build in stages, so it really takes a lot of planning, so you don't end up building something twice, or paying for it more than once. Good Luck!

6. four_by_ken

I also agree that $1000 will go very fast. But, if he isnt going to do major horsepower, a real built bottom end is not needed. The stock 350 bottom end will handle quite a bit of modifications to it before it needs anything. And by the sounds of it... well more than what he is planning on doing.

Ken H.

7. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ken I agree with you. Im currently getting the parts I need for my 400sbc build the lower end is still in good condition and all I will need to spend serious money on is the engine kit (pistons,cam etc...) I found that for 450 and its a GRRREAT kit so the rest can go to all the other things. The only thing thats gonna save me lots of money is the machine work I have a shop at my disposal.

8. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Even on older motors you can pump them up alot with a tune up. I would start with cleaning the TBI up real good, maybe having the injectors cleaned (some of the turbocity stuff for fun). Change out the ignition (coil <--biggy for any older motor, cap/rotor. wires, plugs). Start using the Valvoline max life 10w40 summer 10w30 winter (seem to work well for me anyways). Change the tranny filter and fluid. Flush and fill the radiator. (all that depends on how recently you have done them)
    Changing out the belts, water pump (with new bearings), and checking evenything else out and I bet you be surprised at the pep that comes back into that motor /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

9. jjlaughner

Even a short block creat motor is going to be $1000-1200 and that using all of your stock intake and TBI parts.
    I would go for the tune up (thats going to $400-500 in the stuff I done listed above).
    Take that extra $500 and buy a block and start having it machined, pickup the internals a few at time, start assembling and rebuild the heads (milled, magna fluxed and 3 angle valve job) and you can easy hit the $2K mark but build it over time /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

10. XHitman396

thanks for the help, but i dont want to spend $2k on an engine, the coil, cap, rotor, wires are all new, i will clean the TBI, but how bout this, stealth intake $150, cam $100 + lifters $60, tri-y headers $320, rebuild kit $340, exhaust $300, now what am i missing, and is anything wrong with this, and maybe a little head work, and a .030 boring? thanks again...

11. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

That sounds like a decent plan hitman I would go for it. You will notice a difference thats for sure. GOOD LUCK /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

do a basic rebuild using northern autoparts. i got my rebuild kit (rings, pistons, bearings, gaskets, etc.) and a new cast crank for under $700. that leaves u wit some change to buy sum other fun stuff to get u goin. then build in stages like im doing. next up is a cam or intake and exhuast. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. jjlaughner

Definatly rebuild the heads, for mill, magnaflux, angled valve grind, new seals ready to install was like $300-325

Whats in the rebuild kit? Crank bearings and seals? 30 over rings? might have to resurface the crank/balance, if its bad you may need new connecting rods, if your going that far better pistons? /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

So it depends on what your looks like on the inside /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Also what is the steath intake? Is it for TBI? Try-Y headers does it have the AIR system that the TBI's have with the O2 bung? Just tossing out some questions /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

You still have machine work like boring the block, decking the block, getting new cam bearings installed. Then the price to get the heads gone through. Your best bet would be to get a GM crate motor 250 hp and 3yr/50,000 mile warranty, all for about 1400

Dan /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

15. four_by_ken

And that is with a enw crank. Most likely you wont need a new crank. Basic rebuild kit and the upper end goodies. You'll be a happy camper.

Ken H.

[ QUOTE ]
    do a basic rebuild using northern autoparts. i got my rebuild kit (rings, pistons, bearings, gaskets, etc.) and a new cast crank for under $700. that leaves u wit some change to buy sum other fun stuff to get u goin. then build in stages like im doing. next up is a cam or intake and exhuast. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

16. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Personally, I'd use that $1,000.00 for a starting point. Keep you're weenie motor for time being and start building a monster. I used too buy wrecked cars with good running 350cid engines for $50.00 to $200.00 alot. Strip the car down, sell the good parts, and haul the rest acrost the scales. ( Should have more money then you've invested in the wreck) Now that you have a good 350 to start with and you can still drive your truck, don't get in a hurry. Think 383 Stroker with 9 to 1 compression. May have to use 91 octane gas, but it's well worth it. Loose that 700r4 in favor of a TH400 or well built TH350, and get those 410 or even 456 gears. It's your truck, but if you want power, you're going too have too give up some MPG.