Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1o bolt vs. Dana 44.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Truckdweld, Apr 9, 2001.

1. Truckdweld

Truckdweld Registered Member

The topic says it all. I am wondering if i should swap out my 10 bolt front for a dana 44. Does anyone have an opinion on which one is really better.

2. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Dont switch if your expecting a strengh increase cause ya wont get it.

- SlyDog [​IMG]

3. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Overall IMO the dana may have a tiny bit more strength since it has more splines unless you get one of the 30 spline 10B's. Other factor is if the axle shafts in the D44 have the smaller u-jt's... that's not good. Not worth dealing with unless you are changing gears... if you want strength get aftermarket axles of a FF kit for it ... or a Dana 60 [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Both are pretty much equal in many areas. One has some weaknesses and the other the same. I will look for an article in a magazine that you can refer to.

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

imo it is not worth the hasle the 44 is not much stronger than the 10bolt if you would like more streangth go to a dana60 14ff combo

77blazer see it at<A target="_blank" HREF=http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333>http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333</A>[​IMG]