Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1st 4WD hub teardown/rebuild

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by homemadesin, May 26, 2003.

1. homemadesin

homemadesin 1/2 ton status

Went in to do the brakes, wound up doing thw whole enchilada. no prob, just seems like the prior took "repack" a little too seriously. couple of questions:

the rotor is at the min. thick, how many pads/miles will i go thru 'til new rotor (assuming no scoring)
    i didn't replace the studs, as napa was out and had to get it back up - bad move?
    anybody remove thesheet metal shroud covering the inner side rotor? assume it was for asbestos....

No too bad. I've done plenty of 2WD discs, wheel bearings, etc and unfortunately drums, but I don't think I would want a car with drums and full-floater....

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

As long as the rotor doesn't need to be turned you should be ok. The pads really don't wear down the rotor, it's the other way around. You should be ok at min thickness.

You don't really need to replace the studs if you didn't seperate the rotors from the hubs. Just extra work if they aren't broken or stripped..IMO. Anyway yes studs are hard to get all of them most parts stores I found only carry 5 of them...

I think the sheet metal thing you are talking about is the dust covers. I think they are designed to keep stuff out of the brakes.

Hope I helped
    -Brian