Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1st Balljoint Job

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Just4Fun, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Just4Fun

Just4Fun Registered Member

I've tackled replacing the balljoints on my old 10 bolt. It appears they've never been done before. Tore down to the balljoints easy but it seems the farther out I pound them they more stuck they get..

[​IMG]

I've gotten this far with a hammer and pickle fork but looks like the fork has almost run out of room. It didn't budge until I put some heat on it.

Any suggestions to get this off easier? - I think i've reinjured my back after all this hammering... and I still have the other side to do!

Thanks

2. Jason4x4

Jason4x4 1/2 ton status

hit the axle housing next to the ball joint stud. switch between upper and lower, they will come out.

3. Just4Fun

Just4Fun Registered Member

I think that helped

I got a bigger hammer and started working it over... it fell right out!

now notice how dirty it is... is there an outer seal on this axle tube or does it have inners?? (86 gmc k1500 10 bolt) That is sandy grease I'm guessing from the old beach runs we made years ago... wow, I knew that would come back to haunt me somehow.

It is pretty tough and seems like it would keep any more dirt from getting in there... Should I clean it?

4. Jason4x4

Jason4x4 1/2 ton status

axle seal leaking, it is on the inside, next to the gears, you would have to remove the carrier assembly to replace the seals.