Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1st Gen Audio

Discussion in 'Audio' started by bdkmiller, Sep 27, 2002.

1. bdkmiller

bdkmiller Registered Member

I'm about to get a system started in my '72 Blazer. I like the stock look so I am checking out some of the shaft style receivers, specifically the Kenwood 801 from Chevy Duty. I also want an MP3 player. I know that Kenwood offers an MP3 cd changer but I don't know if it can be opperated from this receiver. Can anyone point me in the right direction for stock look but MP3 capability?
    Thanks in advance,
    Brian

2. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

I think your [censored] out of luck /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

If you're unable to find what you want, you could always mount a head-unit in the console. That way it'd be out of sight, and you can leave the factory radio in the dash for that stock look.

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Hello to the Granite State!

I think the toughest part is when you want to get a 2-Poster style radio, you'll have maybe 2 choices and none of them are very good.

How CRAZY do you want to get? I have been toying with the idea of completely re-wiring a stock AM radio so that the controls actually run a remotely mounted CD player.....how cool would THAT be? /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

If that's too far off the deep end, you could keep the AM radio in the dash and mount a newer style deck under a seat or in a center console. You'll have a lot more choices for the deck that way, and you're bound to get a better quality unit for what they charge for those 2-post retrofit ones....

BTW -> Where in NH are you? I grew up in Keene, and went to college up in Plymouth. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. bdkmiller

bdkmiller Registered Member

Hey Greg72, formerly of NH!
    Thanks for the reply. I love the idea of using the stock unit to control a decent, modern unit but I suspect that is way beyond my comprehension. I did keep the stock unit, in case I get smarter though. I may try a hiddent receiver though, the glovebox or a tuffy console would certainly work.

I live in Orford, just a half hour away from Plymouth. Been there many times, even gave a talk or two at the college. I love NH but it is about to snow & I'm not quite ready yet. Where are you living now?

Brian in NH

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Brian,

These days I'm in the San Jose, CA area.....about as far away from New England winters as I can get!

I still fly home about once a year, usually for Christmas. I still have family in NH, and also Cape Elizabeth, ME.

Another idea that would be easy(ish) would be to buy one of those CD changers that has the FM-modulator adapter. You tune in a particualr radio frequency on the stock radio and can listen to the CDs that way. Not the best sound quality, but a nice unobtrusive solution. Just one little remote control pad to hide in the ashtray or sunvisor.....

7. JAXSTER

JAXSTER 1/2 ton status

Chk Ebay I picked up a nice Alpine 7165 for $30.00 working. I hate cutting Dash for DIN units.

8. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

You can wire a periperal converter to the factory unit and have it control your aftermarket vi IR. You have to make some mods to the converter, but it is basically a steering wheel interface.