Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1st gen blazer, lower transfer case or shims?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Scrubby, Aug 20, 2004.

1. Scrubby

Scrubby 1/2 ton status

I got the 4 inch TC EZ ride lift (springs in the rear) on my '72 and now I am chasing vibrations when I accelerate. I measured the angles and my case is down 6 degrees and my pinion is up 8 degrees. Pretty much as I expected. The pinion needs to be shimmed down 2-3 degrees to get the angles to line up.

Before I track down the shims, I am wondering if I am better off lowering the transfer case. It will help out my ujoint operating angles, but I have one concern. I am running HEI in my first gen, and there isn't much clearence at the fire wall.

Should I just get the shims and forget the case drop, or should I give it a try?

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I have a HEI in mine too...I don't think there is room to shim the t-case. At 4" of lift (4" blocks that were angled) I had no problems with the stock driveshaft. I'm not a huge fan of shims and blocks. I think I would use the shims to find the correct angle and them have someone make you some custome angled "zero rates" because you could move the axle back some as well (it comes too far forward from the factory!).

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I run 4" up front and 5 1/2" in the rear, springs no blocks. I have no need to lower my Tcase. I am using a CV shaft front and rear. My rear spring perches were relocated cuz the shims I was using cracked in half and then spit out somewere on the trail then the spring perches got rounded/bent cuz now my packs were loose with the missing shims. I hate shims now. Got some killer 5 1/2" long spring pads and degreed the rear the right way.
    Good Luck

4. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I had 12" of lift and no lowered t case! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif