Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1st Gen Blazer VS. Full Size Jeep

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by njmac, Mar 10, 2004.

1. njmac

njmac Registered Member

I know the answers here will probably be biased toward the Chevy, but...

I currently own an 88 Jeep Grand Wagoneer and am thinking of selling it to buy a 1st generation K5. I love the Jeep. Being able to switch to 4WD on the fly and drive it on dry pavement is great, and it has a ton of room for junk in the back. But the power tailgate window SUX, and it has a ton of emissions crap on it, and replacement parts are expensive and hard to find.

So, why else is the Chevy (or Jeep) better?

Thanks,
    Nick

PS, know of any K5's for sale near Baltimore?

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Simply put the first gen doesn't have to be lifted to put 32's on it. Chevy all the way /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Bigger wheelwells, easier swappability, and cheeper parts. If you like the full-time 4WD, the NP203 is a better choice than the BW Quadtrac. Just my only slightly biased $.02.

The FSJ can be had w/ 4 doors. If you have small kids its a plus, if not I like a 2 door better.

4. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Drive whatever makes you happy, just remember the chevy has more power and is much easier and cheaper to modify. Blazers look better than G Wagoneers too. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. njmac

njmac Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    If you like the full-time 4WD, the NP203 is a better choice than the BW Quadtrac.

[/ QUOTE ]

My Jeep has an NP208, does the 203 function pretty much the same way?

Thanks.
    Nick

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

umm a 208 is a non full time Tcase, any tcase will operate the same as your 208.

7. k2-k5

k2-k5 1/2 ton status

I think all the first Gen's came with a 205 or a dana 20.

I thought Jeep was a dirty word around here. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Do whatever makes you happy, but in my mind these are two different vehicles and you own them for way diferent reasons.

8. bigjbear

..but how hard do you think it would be to get someone to swap you a 203 for a 205? swappability!

9. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

if you wanted a bias opinion of chevy vs jeep you have come to the right place /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

10. bigjbear

You shouldn't be running any part-time case (like an NP208) on a hard, dry surface. If you meen you just like the ability to shift in & out of 4WD on the street then you can do that w/ the NP205 as well. It functions the same as the NP208.

11. njmac

njmac Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    You shouldn't be running any part-time case (like an NP208) on a hard, dry surface. If you meen you just like the ability to shift in & out of 4WD on the street then you can do that w/ the NP205 as well. It functions the same as the NP208.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK so it isn't a 208... It's a 228. Sorry for the confusion. But the K5's case isn't full time eh? Do you have to exit the vehicle to turn the hubs?

Thanks
    Nick

12. njmac

njmac Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    but in my mind these are two different vehicles and you own them for way diferent reasons.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure what you mean here. I would be using them exactly the same way. Hauling equipment around in a cool vehicle that can go anywhere, anytime.

Nick

13. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Do you have to exit the vehicle to turn the hubs?

[/ QUOTE ]
    You sure do. But the hubs and lockouts are stronger and easier to maintain/repair than the Jeep unibearing hub and axle disconnect. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. bigyellowjimmy

all I want to know is...does your Grand Wagoneer have vinyl woodgrain trim? what size tires are you running and what lift? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

15. njmac

njmac Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    all I want to know is...does your Grand Wagoneer have vinyl woodgrain trim? what size tires are you running and what lift? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

woodgrain. stock 225/75/15. stock.
    I've contemplated getting a lift (cuz the orig springs sag a bit) for it, but it keeps stealing it's own lift money. I haven't done any four wheeling. I use it when I need to haul more equipment than will fit in the trunk of my car, and when the weather is bad. Replacement body panels are so expensive and hard to find, that I don't think I'd ever feel comfortable using it over big rocks.

Last time I was in a fender bender, State Farm got me a fender for $800, and the replacement woodgrain (i was told) was one of about 60 left in the country. I just looked on the web for a K5 fender and saw I can get one for about $120.

How about the back seat of the K5?... I noticed there isn't a whole lot of room behind it. Does it flip forward? Is it easy to remove? Can it be mounted farther forward?

16. bigyellowjimmy

Not sure about the back seat folding on the newer Blazers, mine is 34 years old and bolted to the floor. Sounds to me like you would enjoy an 87-91 Blazer, they are fuel injected and have more creature comforts that the oldies. Then later down the road when/if you get the offroad bug you've got a great base to start from /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I haven't done any four wheeling. I use it when I need to haul more equipment than will fit in the trunk of my car, and when the weather is bad

[/ QUOTE ]
    If your not doing any wheelin', then I would just get a sub... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

18. njmac

njmac Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Sounds to me like you would enjoy an 87-91 Blazer,

[/ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    If your not doing any wheelin', then I would just get a sub

[/ QUOTE ]

But I don't like the way those look. I love the 1st gen K5's.

19. bigyellowjimmy

then buy yourself a 1st Gen.

20. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

and it has a ton of room for junk in the back.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think a Jeep has a lot of room, you're in for a nice surprise with a K5. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

You also can shift on the fly with a K5, just leave your hubs locked and the NP205 can be shifted on the fly. Do it all the time with my Burb and the NP241 when the snow flies here or up on Mt. Hood. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif