Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1st gen diesel conversion

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CustomCruiser, Dec 2, 2002.

1. CustomCruiser

CustomCruiser Registered Member

No luck with archive search. Has anyone swapped a 6.2/6.5 diesel into a 1st gen K5? Seems there may be a firewall clearance problem. Current 350 is not origional. I like the idea of 20+ mpg for my convertible K5 but don't want to cut the roof off the '84 diesel. Thanks.

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I don't have any real info for you but if I was going to swap a diesel into my truck I wouldn't use a chevy deisel. The dodge and ford motors were designed by guys that know about diesels!

3. BARRAZA

BARRAZA 1/2 ton status

Seeing as how this guy already has two 6.2 powered vehicles, I doubt he is looking to swap a cummings or navistar. Also, the 6.2 was designed by detroit diesel, and they "know about diesels". Yeah, you're never going to get 500+ ft lbs from a 6.2, but they are good alternatives to a small block for towing and can get great gas mileage. As for putting one in a first gen, I have seen one and the guy who had it never mentioned firewall clearance problems. A 6.2 has the same mounting points as a small or big block and generally fits in the same space. Some first gens came with bigblocks so I doubt you'll have any problem.

4. CustomCruiser

CustomCruiser Registered Member

Thanks. I've had three 6.2's and continue to be impressed with this light duty diesel. As my 1st gen never tows a gooseneck, this engine may make an ideal daily driver.