Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1st gen frame or 2nd gen frame?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by grizzlyoffroad, Mar 31, 2006.

1. grizzlyoffroad

grizzlyoffroad 1/2 ton status

I have a 72 Blazer that I am currently building. I have 44" Boggers, Dana 60 front, and Corp 14 rear. All this including the T400 tranny is from a 81 chevy 1 ton with a 10" lift. I also have access to 85 Blazer. My delima is: Should I adapt all the gear to fit the 72 frame and body or do I just use the 85 blazer frame and put the 72 body on it. Either way, I am keeping the 72 body, I love that 1st gen style with fully removable top. What do you guys think? Thanks

2. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I say keep your 72 frame and beef it IMHO both frames are kinda weak why spend time moving body mounts when you could spend time beefing the frame

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The running gear you described will directly swap into your 72 since it came from a 1 ton truck.

4. grizzlyoffroad

That would be sweet! I was under the impression that all the spring mounts would be different. Aren't the lengths different between '72 1/2 ton and '81 1 ton? I thought I would at least have to move the spring mounts around a little. Comments?

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If you're also asking about the springs then the front on a 1st Gen are a different length and will either need new springs for the 72 or move the spring hangers. The rear springs are the same length IIRC, at least i gave my old springs from my 89 to Greg72 and he installed them on his 72 without any problems.

6. grizzlyoffroad

OK, thanks for the clarification.