Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1st gen headers

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by GillBill, Jan 20, 2007.

1. GillBill

GillBill Registered Member

Greetings

I am looking for a pair of headers for my 72 4x4. Any suggestions? What are you running? Part numbers? I am curently running flowtech headers made by holley and am not really happy with them. I am almost ready to just port out the original exhaust manifolds and put them back on.

2. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

3. k2-k5

k2-k5 1/2 ton status

SB or BB?

if you decide to go back to manifolds try to find some ram horns off of a corvette I believe. They have bigger ports.

As far as headers I would give up some performance gains and go with a style that has the thickest flanges and best fit. I put a BB in mine and went with doug Thorleys for a 73+ they fit awesome and 3/8" flanges.

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

On my 350 I ran Hedmen headers. First bought the cheepy ones and they warped in about 3yrs..next I got Hedmen Elite series and thoes were GREAT. Nice and thick to prevent warping and they fit great too.
    On my 454 I run Thorleys, they fit but not as nice and snug like the Hedmens did on the 350.

5. crawford

crawford 1/2 ton status

I have hooker supercomps. They've worked great for me so far.

6. BUDDY

BUDDY 1/2 ton status

I've heard that 67-81 camaro 3/4 length headers fit great, but I have no practical experience with that idea.

I can't actually find any right now anyways, so maybe it's not that great of an idea.

Edit - found a few sets that look like a pretty good fit. The v-8 conversion S-10 set (H8036), H8021, H8012.

Later,
    Buddy

7. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

I got these flowtech headers for xmas for $213 to my door. I bought them from JC Whitney. They were a perfect fit, and how can you beat the price. Ceramic coated headers for the price of painted headers.
    They came with all the header bolts, gaskets, and baffle reducers.

i realize you are not happy with yours and i haven't really put these to the test, but so far so good.

[​IMG]

8. c.r.mason

c.r.mason Registered Member

afterburner headers work grate for me. should have had them ceramic coated(5 years agao). I recamend copper gaskets, and a trip to the salvage yard for a '96 or newer SB starter (mine was $35 still spins fine)

9. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

I have Hedmen Elite's and the fit pretty well. I don't need them anymore(installing LQ4), so let me know if you're interested in them.

header.jpg

header2.jpg

10. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

The a-body/chevelle shortie headers work great too.

11. RGV72BLAZER

RGV72BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Edinburg*San Bene*Online-The Real South Texas
    ...i'm going to run the summit racing headers...80+shipping...not a bad price...i'll save the quality headers for my BBC down the road....waaaay down the road...

12. Musclerodz

Musclerodz 1/2 ton status

We can get you Stainless Works full length headers if you want nothing but the best Stainless header on the market.

Mike