Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1st gen hydrolic clutch

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JTB, Feb 7, 2001.

1. JTB

JTB 1/2 ton status

I'm not a fan of the way Chevy engineered the mechanical clutch linkage. The peice that mounts to the frame and holds one of the ball studs is so destroyed that the stud fits right through and the clutch no longer works. Has anyone come up with a better design or swapped in a hydrolic clutch? If so, please provide specifics and pictures if possible. I could really use some help here. Im ready to introduce the entire mechanical clutch system to my sledge hammer. Thanks in advance!

Jeff

Don't drive it unless it says Chevy!

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

haha, I hear ya!
    No I have not seen or done this conversion! But I have heard of modifying the linkage using thoes hemi style piviot points.
    I replaced all the hardware for my linkage when I installed my CenterForce cluch kit, way smoother!
    If you do find the info please share it here.
    One other board you may want to try would be www.blazer-net.com
    Oh and keep in mind if you go hydrolic the bell housing will need to be swaped out so.......big job!
    Good luck

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com>http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com</A>

3. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

WHy not get the bracket that is hashed from a junkyard manual truck?
    I swapped in the 465 on an auto truck and just bolted it to the frame.
    Ok, call me stupid. What's a Heim joint and why/how should I put it in the clutch linkage?
    -- Mike

4. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

It's not that hard to. The parts are:
    Cluch master cyc off a 85 or so S-15 blazer
    Slave cyc off a 85 or 20 s-15
    Hydro line off same
    Make or buy from advance adapter a bracket for the slave.
    I used the advance bracket with a little help. The master cylinder will mount on the firewall were the old rod went though. The push rod that comes with master will be to short by about 4 inches , I used a 10 inches of tubing and cut the rod into and welded it. The bracket bolts to 2 of the bellhousing bolts. Rember to bled the system befor boltting the slave in place, I used a threded rod from the slave to the cluch arm. One last thing you still have to use the return spring.

5. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

One thing that I have heard a few times concerning the swap Blazer72 describes above. The factory slave cylinders will not hold up to a stock Borg & Beck (coil spring style) clutch. If you do that conversion, you should also convert to a diaphragm clutch (Centerforce or equiv.). On the other hand, if you convert to a diaphragm clutch, the stock mechanical linkage will work a lot better, and last a lot longer. The hyd. clutch does allow a lot better clearance for headers.

Tim

70 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    87 Burb 4X4 350
    01 GMC 2500HD 4X4 Duramax/Allison

6. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

I've never run any thing but 12 inch borg & beck! I ran this set up for about 3 years with no problems I only changed it when I went to a 98 bellhuseing with an internal slave. I'm still running the same master as I started with! Its OH so nive to not have the cluck free play change when the body and frame move apart, or to lose the cluch competlyunder flex. Plus I used to have to adjust the cluch ever month or so I have never had to with the Hydr setup.