Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1st gen k5 vs 2nd gen

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by luk3, Jun 5, 2002.

1. luk3

luk3 1/2 ton status

could some of you guys give me the advantages and disadvantages between the 1st and second gen k5s, im undecided what year i should buy or look for.

2. lizard

lizard 1/2 ton status

First gen is much cooler truck and is all steel. Second gen has more plastic and the interior space is more refined. If you want a fullly removable top you are limited to models up thru 1974. After that you get a roof over the front seats (can be considered good or bad).

My pick is any GMC Jimmy 1969-1972. Much better looking grill than the common k5.... and when you hit the high beams with 4 lights LOOK OUT! Don't need no stinkin KC's :-)

3. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Actually full convert is thru 75. Body parts for the first gens are getting harder to come by and are problably next to non-existent in the junk yards and they were only made for 3yrs. Parts for the 2nd gen are still pretty plentiful and more aftermarket parts are available. Personally, I like the 1st gens and would go that route ... but the choice is yours /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

4. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i like 89-91 the best. you get good stuff like fuel injection serpentine belt and a good looking grill (with a little paint) and like allready said parts are plentyfull in yards and every pep boys or auto zone in the country stocks your parts.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've had a '72, '77, '75 and '87 K5 over the years. The '72 was by far the coolest looking of the bunch IMHO. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif It also rattled, creaked and groaned more than any of the others. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif The '87 was downright plush compared to any of the others and just started and ran every time I ever turned the key. EFI is pretty sweet. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif The '75 I bought because it was the last year of the 2nd gen that had a fully removable top. Not much of it is stock these days. I haven't got the pics posted yet, but the stats and stuff are at the web site in my sig below.

6. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

also one thing to notice is that 74 is the only year they mated a np203 (full time xfer) to the manual sm465 (4 speed with granny low). makes for an awesome low end and puts you half way to a doubler if you were going that route.

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Luke,

1st Gens are cool, no doubt......but the "newest" of them is still 30 years old!!! You can count on it needing a lot more restoration work than a newer K5, which may not be what you are after. Rust will be a bigger factor too.

As already mentioned, parts availability is more troublesome and the costs are usually higher. If you are looking for a "cheap offroad vehicle" a 2nd Gen K5 might be a safer bet.

With all that said, if your heart is set on a 1st Gen, you can at least count on a good support group here on CK5! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif There are a lot of us here that will help you out with answers as you start restoring and repairing your "classic" 4x4.

Let us know what you decide to do......

8. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

OK I'l say it again................
    FIRST GEN K5s ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Really need to ask yourself what are you gonna do with your K5?
    69-72 has a 104" wheelbase and 73up has 106.5".
    Back when I was 'in the market' I knew I wanted full convertable with a full cage AND old school technology none of this new fangdangle BS smog and such! So it was eaither a flatfender Willys or 72K5!
    Good luck

9. bobsurf

bobsurf 1/2 ton status

73 is my pick, parts are easily found, but by far my favorite feature is that it's smog exempt in CA /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif. 1st gen's look the best though.

10. ChrisM72beast

ChrisM72beast 1/2 ton status

1st gens seem to get a lot of "hey that's a sweet truck" from strangers. There are not many around, especially in good to great shape. In the other reply's the other guys are right about them. Parts are much harder to get a junkyards. They do rattle and creak unless you do a frame-up restoration. Rust can be a problem, depending on where you get your blazer from. The other factor is the headache/money factor. This is not a cheap truck to keep up unless you drive it rarely. If it's a daily driver prepare to spend bucks/time.
    The pluses are many. The "cool" factor. Not many other vehicles you can drive that are full sized SUVs that don't cost 40,000$, have Detroit steel and are convertible. Also being smog exempt is a major bonus.
    I think that 2nd and 3rd gen Blazers are nice too. They just don't have that "rare car" feel to them. You can find them anywhere(which is not a bad thing). It's just not that select few feeling I get with my truck(headache).

Chris M

11. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    I have had a 74 K5 Cheyenne and the 70 jimmy. The 74 had bad rust over the rear wheels even though it wasnt from the rust belt. The 70 has a little on the bottom and rockers have been replaced. The 74 seemed to have a lot of plastic and little things would break for no reason. Like the rear window crank, door and window handles. The first gens just seem to be built better. 2nd gen was more comfortable and a lot quieter..

I go for first gen for looks, reliability, and overall strength. They do cost more to redo and parts are a little harder to find and require more modification.

Good Luck and stick with GM and youll be fine.

12. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

how come the only people that have responded to this post (well not the only, but most) have 1st gen, i think they are trying to lure one over to the dark side :-). I would think that you can get a 74 or 75 if you want full convertible and then have all the aftermarket parts available for a 2nd gen. although i would love to get my hands on a 1st gen.

13. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

You would be suprized on how many parts available to 73 and up K5s will also work great on First Gens.
    Good Luck

14. luk3

luk3 1/2 ton status

thanks guys ur helping me alot. i dont have smog test in my town. and in nampa idaho i see a suprising large amount of ist gens in the yards or driving around. what ever one i pick it will my my first major 4x4 and also a daily driver. im leaning twords a second gen becasue they are cheap and more easy to mod. also i have a small budget and not many recources for help on building a good k5. thanks for your guys help. im sure i will have many more post and questions to ask you guys. thanks again

15. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

If your looking to build a serious, bounce off the rocks, 4x4, I'd go with the half top second gen. Not that they are tougher or anything, it is just that the parts for a first gen are rare and if you want to keep the body nice, it can be a lot more difficult to fix. As far as the cool factor, I'm for the first Gen's. My truck gets a lot of attention when you drive it around with the top off!

16. Scorpion

Scorpion Registered Member

I second that bouncytruck! To add a little to it:

Other reasons why Gen 1 is better then Gen 2: no air pumps, no cats, no smog crap, less vacume lines, Strongest T-case ever built, always part time 4x4 (some gen 2's are full time and need to be converted if part time is desired), worth more

Other Reasons why Gen 2 is better than Gen 1: Cheaper for body parts (but it's not getting to be that way much anymore), Cheaper to buy one, used parts are abundant, you like mid 70's hubcaps

17. luk3

luk3 1/2 ton status

whats this smog u talk about?

18. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

1st gen rocks.everything about them is better to me.i never liked the other two gen.of blazers.ive wanted a first gen ever since i can remember.some states have immitions,and most pre 75 vehicles dont have to be tested in sone of those states because emissions ewipped vehicles were non existant i think till 75.any body correct me if im wrong.removable tops were on 69 to 75 blazers so if you want fully removable top in a second gen blazer look for 73 to 75 blazers.first gen was 69-72.happy hunting and welcome to the club

19. luk3

luk3 1/2 ton status

thanks for the welcom, i been at coloradok5 for along time , jsut waiting for the acutal perchase of my k5. this waiting is killing me

20. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

I have one of each. A 72 and an 85. The 72 is awsome, the 85 is ...........okay.

The only problem with the 72 I have is it is very, very clean and is getting up there in value. It is one of the catch-alls' ....do I want to have a cool machine I can tear up or a cool machine that I have to be gentle with. (because it is worth big bucks) You can find some beater 1st gens out there to romp on. Even the ratty ones will bring a healthy price tag though. You can get more bang for your buck with a 2nd gen. Figure out what kind of wheelin' you are going to do and how much you want to spend. It's all about the money.

John