Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1st Gen Masacre

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1Blazin71, Mar 11, 2003.

1. 1Blazin71

1Blazin71 1/2 ton status

2. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I saw that, I couldnt believe it. Almost broke down and cried. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

3. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I don't understand that - if you're going to take a rig down that far - so that just the firewall is remaining why would you use a rig that is as lovely and wonderful as the dear, dear First Gen Blazer? /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

4. IGOR

I don't understand that - if you're going to take a rig down that far - so that just the firewall is remaining why would you use a rig that is as lovely and wonderful as the dear, dear First Gen Blazer? /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Use a Pinto or something!

5. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

link no worky for me /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

6. 1HIHUM

1HIHUM 1/2 ton status

Be glad! It's a sight no father should have to see! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I ran out and hugged my baby after seeing what they did to that blazer. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

Ok... no idea who that is, but people that do that kind of sh!t to classic cars need to burn in hell for all of eternity. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Its not like they still make those trucks and with the number of dipsh!ts that cant manage the brake pedal as well as the gas pedal there are fewer and fewer on the road all the time...

Gah!

8. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Playing the Devil's advocate here, who's to say that him chopping up the tub of the Jimmy is any worse than those of us who hack off the rocker panels and put on rock sliders?

What I'm trying to say is: Where do we draw the line in saying too much hacking is too much.

I've seen a division amongst car clubs where the "purists" want to have their stock restos and originals and can't see why anyone would modify anything (or just plain hate it). On the other side of the line are those who have to get their hands in on everything and modify away like crazy. The line's kind of wavery and grey too, since there are a lot of guys somewhere in the middle who like their partially modified rides.

FWIW, I don't agree with chopping up a car or truck to that extent. Back when I was messing with race cars, the sanctioning bodies even had rules about things that were to be kept stock and even in the craziest classes (Trans Am, GTU/GTO), the roof, front window, back window, and a few other things had to remain in their stock shape and location. Of course, these rules were paritally to keep the make and model readily identifiable, but partially to keep the teams from gaining an aerodynamic edge by chopping the greenhouse off of the cars...

9. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

Well, on the bright side, someone has some good parts they may be willing to sell. Has anyone tried contacting him about selling the parts?

10. IGOR

I agree with you Steve - but there is a HUGE difference in making a first gen blazer more rock-proof by cutting out the rockers - it's still a First gen - and you are actually preserving the body to some extent (due to the heavy use it will be likely seeing)

But taking it down so it's merely a firewall and a frame - what's the point in that? Use a friggin' Jeep! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

11. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

OK I have to jump in here now, if ya'll read the post you would have seen the guy is doing some major chopping yes but he's going back with the first gen sheet metal just narrower and a dove tail rear. If it would have been my truck yes I would have sold the tub and used a truck cab and sheet metal. They are much more prominate and would have saved the grief of all of you.

12. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

LKJR, exactly why I was asking where we draw the line.

I agree that he should have sold the tub off to someone who needed a good stock one (we don't know how rusty his was to begin with) and used a pickup tub as his basis, but it is his ride.

Personally, I still don't like or agree with what he did, but it's his ride and he can do what he wants with it.

13. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

to make that link work click it then delete the first http:// Poor blazer, I can see doing that with a 2nd gen because lots of them are around but 1st gens aren't getting any less rare.

14. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

15. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

OK, I\'m going to jump in here also...

Guys, let's all remember to each there own. First gen second gen what's the diff...... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I own and 1'st gen, and let me tell you it's far from still stock. The tub was toast, and if anyone has spent and time checking out what it coast to refurbish a 1st gen, you will know it's no cheap endeavor. I love my first gen, but I also love to wheel/rockcrawl... If you are going to put refurbishing a 1st gen against wheeling/rockcrawling overall, got new for you, wheeling is going to win.

I love to wheel and weather it's a frist gen or a second gen, I'm going to wheel. The fact that it's a frist gen is the best part of it. But once the body is toast, the plaza cutter is comming out.. what last is what can be tubed in..

Just my .02.

16. Anthony72K5

Anthony72K5 Registered Member

Re: OK, I\'m going to jump in here also...

I cut off the rear half of my truck, with the only factory sheetmetal being the firewall/windshield frame and everything in front of that. The floorpan was mostly cut out, and I'm in the process of putting new floors in while the 'cab' is off. I'm also putting a psuedo-buggy bed on the back with little bits of dodge dakota fenders on each side. But don't cry too much for my 72K5, I live in Kentucky, and rust had eaten holes bigger than softballs in both sides of the rear fenders. And the hack job that the guy before me did on the floorpan is something to admire. It is large fiberglass mats soaked in hardener laid directly over top of the rusty floors. Everything from the front seats back came off with wrenches and a prybar (more the prybar). I consider it rescuing a K5 from further abuse of a madman, at least it will be back on the road (and off the road) instead of just rusting away behind an old barn. Thankfully, the front clip is mostly rust free, to my suprise.

But that guy had a pretty clean (at least fixible!) body to start with. In his position, I would have sold the whole body, got a junk chevy cab, and went from there. Buying fiberglass fenders front and rear would be a good idea anyway for someone who is narrowing a blazer body tub 12".

Oh well though, I've heard rumors of a 1st Gen blazer fiberglass body tub being produced recently. I assume you will be able to easily find 73-91 donor frames to affix a first gen body for the rest of eternity.