Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1st gen. Suburbans info.

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ntaj*ep, Jun 23, 2002.

1. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I've been thinking latly about selling the DD. (2000 chev.) For a '70-'72 (not really 1st gen.) sub. But I want some seemingly rare things. Like barn doors, A/C, ps., I know I'm forgetting something. I will most likly swap out the axles for 3/4 ton stuff and put fuel inj. on for dd duties. But I don't know if the subs. outside of Wa. are more prevelant(sp.) Should I sell the new tow rig for this "new project"? I'm conflicted. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

2. stylin6

stylin6 Registered Member

Sounds just like the project I'm working on right now! '71 Suburban with factory air (not hooked up yet), barn doors, PS/PB on a 77 suburban frame. Just picked up the 454/TH400 that I'm dropping in it in a few months. The truck was actually an old 2 wheel drive ambulance with a 396 in it. No telling how many changes its seen over the years. Its been a lot of work, but it will be worth it when I'm done.

I see a few others around this area- not many 4X4s though, and all the ones I've seen are rotting out on the lower half of the body (mine is too, though I've replaced most of it).

3. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

That sounds cool. It would be nice to find one that the body is already strait on but motor or tranny is shot in (what are the odds) My thought is to use the new ram jet 350 that GM has introduced, for reliability. I do want it to be able to tow and be my daily driver. The new truck is cool and all I just need something more my speed. I don't wany another project.......no really!

4. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

You could find a '71/ '72 3/4ton 4x4 Sub.

5. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Ya, but I would change out the closed style front end. I already have a few Eaton rears around. I figure the 1/2t might demand a lower intial price tag, even with all the "needs". hopfully anyway. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

6. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

The front axles on 70-72 4X4 Suburbans are open knuckle. The 71-72's are disc brakes equipped from the factory. If you are looking for one, a 71-72 3/4ton 4spd 4X4 Suburban can be purchased for the right money. They are out there. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

7. 72gmc-burb

72gmc-burb Registered Member

Good luck w/ the Hunt! Beware of the rust common to this body style. I've replaced floor panels, and need to fix rear fenders. My GMC 1500 Sport Custom has the dual AC, tilt, PS, PB (front disk), 350, TH350, NP205, dana 44 front, and corp 12 rear (heavy-half ton springs) from the factory.

Additionally, it has dual 20 gal tanks w/ skid cover, Edelbrock Performer cam, timing chain, valve springs, and spreadbore intake w/ the stock quadrajet. I had Arizona Spring in Tucson re-arch and add a leaf to bring up the ass-end. It easily tows a 5000 lb generator trailer (tandem axle) w/ trailer brakes. I've never wished for the heaver axles.

These vehicles are out there to be found. I got mine from the former Mayor of Winnemucca, Nevada!

8. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I really don't want to do it unless It has the barn rear doors, a/c, and a great body. I plan on it being my daily driver, so I will put fuel injection and probibly an overdrive tranny in it. Giving up the Silverado will be hard to do. I think I'll cope with it though. Sounds like you all have some nicly set up Subs. I just got the new Four Wheeler, it has part one of a '71 Sub. build up. I'm sure now EVERYONE will be looking for em. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

9. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

a first gen suburban... that would be awesome!!!! a 1936 suburban with a new 350/400/241 combo with some cut down (narrowed) D60s under it rollin on swampers. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

10. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

Aaron, check over on 67-72chevytrucks.com. There are a lot of 67-72 Burb guys over there. Also, Wes at Classic Heartbeat in Olympia might be able to help you find a nice 'burb (http://www.ClassicHeartbeat.com/)

11. bigbadburb

bigbadburb 1/2 ton status

i have loved these trucks for years and have lived in washington state for almost 9 years and really nice ones are hard to come by, The last one i had i sold to a buddy and we are getting ready to put a 454 ,nv4500 and a 205 in place of the original 350,350-205 combo. Good luck on your search!

12. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Thanks dude! I feel like its time for a daily driver with some attiude! I drove my blazer every day for like 6 years. Then I got the new truck it's cool and all but every time I drive the blazer I miss it so much! I figure if I find one with a nice body I can make it nicer than the roundie newbie stuff, and it will do everything the new one does and more.
    So when is the next time your going wheelin'. I was going to go down to Hollister this weekend but bagged at the last minuite. I feel bad but want to go some time in the future!? Thanks for the info to. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Making 67-72s more the mainstream. Do you still have the early blazer? The pictures I've seen are bad a$$!

13. stylin6

stylin6 Registered Member

Speaking of replacing floor panels- does anyone sell the floor panel section closest to the rocker panels? I need a piece about 8-10 inches wide and about 2 feet long, with the curved piece that runs down under the rockers (mine are shot). Your right about the rust though..... They definately do develop some!!

14. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

chevy duty has them.i got a front one for my blazer.it fit pretty close.had to trim it a little bit.but good quality.
    www.chevyduty.com