Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1st gen truggy project - on its way

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Topdown, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

I forgot to take pics before I cleaned up the frame, cut it, bobbed it, etc... but I have started taking pics so...

Here is a pics after I cleaned the outside of the frame rails, cut it in two and then removed 36" out of the middle, 11" off the rearend and 4" off the nose.
    http://coloradok5.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/18182/size/big/sort/1/cat/500

Here is a pic after I welded the frame together again... before I have plated it to beef it up some along the welds. Not a bad looking weld if I do say so myself. The total frame length is 149"
    http://coloradok5.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/18184/sort/1/size/big/cat/500/page/

The body is in real rough shape, no rust-through, just lots of surface rust. it needs some sanding, priming and painting soon... as soon as I get the frame painted and on axles that is.

Right now I am planning on running it 1/2 ton since I am working with a $0.00 budget... but I may have access to a 12bolt with 5.13's a couple D44's and at least one 10Bolt front. So, I will regear one of them to match and run them for the first year or two or until I get tired of fixing them.

I have a 360hp 400ft-lb small-block from my blazer that I will be dropping in it with a TH350/NP203 that I am picking up from a friend on a payment plan. I figure I will run stock rams-horn manifolds until I can find some 2.5" rams horns or later model manifolds that breathe a little better... then I will run that through a 2.5" exhaust that I will probably end up bending/running/welding myself.

I figure I should be able to get it done by mid summer ... at least enough to take it wheeling :thumb:

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Looks like fun:D

So why a 203 and not a 205? Just that the 205 is much stonger with no chain to worry about. I'm sure you know this I am just thinking out loud here:xmas:
    Have a good Christmas
    Burt

3. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

If I know Ryan..it's beacuse of availability. The positive is that you have a better low range w/ a 203 vs a 205. I'm sure he'll be doing a doubler though....as soon as we come up with the parts....:thumb:

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Ahh Roger Dodger:D

Keep the pics comming as it evolves:cool1:

5. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

exactly... I have access to a 203 though a doubler is definitely in the plans when it comes available.

The only real issue I am worried about with a doubler though is my wheelbase and the pinion angles. Since the wheelbase will be over a foot shorter than a blazer and I am hoping for 6-8" of lift I am going to have to be careful about how I go about it. Eventually I want to run a 4-link rear with coils and thats just going to make it worse so I will definitely have to spend some time figuring it out before hand.

6. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

Hey Topdown,
    Can you repost your pics?

Give us update pics as well!