Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1st gen. welded/half doors? **NEW MOAB ready? pictures**

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ntaj*ep, Aug 1, 2002.

1. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Well I went to a street rod builder today and he says the truck can be fixed! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif But it will be longer than 2 weeks and cost (IMO) way too much. So when I told him what I use the truck for and what the master plan was, his idea was welding the doors shut. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif HA, weld the doors shut, wait you mean like half doors or somthin'. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Holy cow what an idea. Since the body is toast anywhay, I can mount some sliders, my cage even. Wow maybe I can take the truck to Blazer Bash after all.

So my question before the cutting begins.........Ideas? please I'm begging you I need ideas. I'm lost without you, give me anything, anything at all. Its a first gen. so I figured I wouldn't go past the lower body line. But where to start. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Re: 1st gen. welded/half doors HELP?

We saw a guy at canadian river that had his doors on his 1st gen welded shut and then notched out in a \_/ shape. it was pretty sweet IMO. He had made some little half doors that fit in the slot. I think if you have a blazer that's pretty toasted anyways, you wouldnt be losing anything, why not cut and weld on it? If it's a trail rig only, then you're set. I dont know what happened to your particular rig, but if you dont care about body work (like me), go for it!

Dukes of Hazzard Baybee...

3. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I don't usually do body work, but the rust is baaad. If its welding I can figure it out /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif Hopefully /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.

How are you going to get in yer truck?I have half doors and crunched the driver's door a month ago and jumping out the half door is not cool.Of course I'm an old man so that might be a problem.Why run doors at all?If it is a wheather issue then get some waterproof canvas and make them with a clear vinyl window.Keep cutting...it can only get better,now!LOL

5. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

the issue getting in and out isn't that bad, it's all in how you design the \_/ go just a few inches above the floor and your set.

6. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

OK, I had some "junk" doors laying around and......................................................I cut one. I will post pictures, as soon as I figure out how to do it so everyone can see. /forums/images/icons/ooo.gif
    I can't go without doors because the whole point of this is to have a semi rigid windshield to take the top off. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif Otherwise I would. I also will use the doors as a mounting for some interior bars, or something. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

7. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

[​IMG] /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif
    OK here is my idea. yea? nay?

8. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

that's awesome. Now fill in the gap. And dont forget to use some 3" or so thin wall pipe to make a cup holder in the door! Way too cool. haha

9. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Damn, I never thought of accesories! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif I need more cupholders /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

10. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Re: 1st gen. welded/half doors HELP? **picture**

SMP's ride

11. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

pm'd ya. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

12. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I've see his rig before. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif I think if this idea dosn't work out then maybe after Blazer Bash I'll do something like that. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif That thing is sweet! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

13. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

OK so I want to incoperate some sliders under the doors and get rid of the rockers all together. I want to keep the boxes but cut the rockers and fenders from wheel to wheel. Any ideas on braces. I don't think I can go to the frame, can I? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

14. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

Why not remove the boxes and use the roll cage for support? If your going to weld the doors in place, you should need the rocker boxes anyway, right?

15. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

This weekend I'm doing it! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif NO cut doors, I'm bracing the door openings and using the rock sliders as a mounting point for the floor. Thanks for the insperation SMP & Steve for reminding me about his rig. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif I'll have pictures hopfully. I got to do it before the 21st! /forums/images/icons/confused.gif I'm stressing! BAD!!! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif I need to do this now. I got the front cage kit from smittybuilt today and the dude that does tubing called and said he would help me out even though It's such short notice (thanks Jeff, if your on here yet). Its getting close. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

16. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

17. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

18. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

Re: 1st gen. welded/half doors? **NEW UPDATED pictures**

Those "doors" look good, Aaron! I like the cage and seats, too.

Will

19. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

Damn dude, you been workin hard! so..um...aaron..... didnt it used to be orange or red???? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/confused.gif ????????? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/confused.gif ?????? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

20. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

You've been busy! That's looking good! Tough and funtional. Did you just make the cage too?