Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1st generation frame articulation benifits?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stretch67, Sep 1, 2004.

1. stretch67

stretch67 1/2 ton status

just a couple ?'s on 1st gen frames. a couple years back i read an article in a 4x4 mag. the article was titled "pretzel logic" the truck was a 72 chevy i think. they installed a 6" lift and did some testing. the truck did really well on ramp travel, because the frame was flexing-twisting side to side as well as bowing front to rear. the author stated the older truck frames flexed like that as opposed to the newer ones that had no frame flex. just suspension flex. my question is can this be used as a advantage as long as body panels don't touch? i would guess the older k5's wouldn't get as much twist being a shorter wheelbase any thought? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. badbowtie03

badbowtie03 Registered Member

I think I saw that article too a long time ago... I think that fram flexing can be good but not when it gets out of propotion... Someone posted a pic of a truck a week or two ago on here and it looked like the frame was almost in pieces it was flexing so much /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I dont think that can be a good thing because I think the frame would then be subject to cracking and/or bending and staying out of alignment... but thats just my opinion... Yeah I dont think the blazer would be as prone to frame flexing ALOT but at least some... Anyone else? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. tree_entz

tree_entz 1/2 ton status

who's pic was that???? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

just a quick thought: blazer vs. truck:
    the body of the blazer should help stiffen the frame while the cab and bed on a truck is seperate allowing for more twist.
    -was that my truck that was twisting to pieces???
    my buddy calls it the twizler.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The body of the K5 is going to be a more rigid platform, but I can confirm that the frame of at least the second gens is "soft" enough that the body can't control it. Better than the trucks obviously, or the top would break all the time. (well, that happens, just not all the time)

Changing from rubber to poly body mounts on my K5 made it obvious how much the frame flexes, and how incapable the body is of limiting frame movement.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

K5s creak and crack a lot inside.

If you think frame flex stops when the panels touch each other I've got a surprise for you. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Basically if you're going to have a truck that flexes, just be prepared for the body to start coming apart everywhere.

6. tree_entz

tree_entz 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Basically if you're going to have a truck that flexes, just be prepared for the body to start coming apart everywhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

boy howdy...

7. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Here is the article refered to above.

You really shouldn't have too much frame flex with your Blazer (or Burb in my case) compared to that pickup. But some flex will occur. The body on my Burb creaks when I twist it up. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: 1st generation frame articulation benifits? *DELETED*

Post deleted by dyeager535

9. stretch67

stretch67 1/2 ton status

thanks beast388! thats the article. my truck is also a lwb.the other day i drove the driver's side front up on a 3 foot dirt wall to flex the new springs a bit. the rh door would not open due to fender to door spacing. poly mounts and all.i guess body has to move also! a couple questions to ponder? would a 1st gen truck vs a 2nd with the same spring lift (i know wheelbase is a little shorter) ramp better than a 2nd? also would crossmembers have an effect on frame flex? i plan on adding a 2nd tranny crossmember for a skidplate mount. but could you place xmembers to take advantage of frame flex or would that stress the frame? should i just let it flex and be happy?