Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1ST GENERATION ROLLBARS

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by cheyenne10, Jan 5, 2004.

1. cheyenne10

cheyenne10 Registered Member

Where were the mounting points for the roll bars used in early blazers? I have heard of these bars being dealer installed options or purchased by owners early on. Do the rear points mount to the top of fender wells or to floor behind fenders? Also does Smittybuilt or some other vendor still sell new rollbars and cage kits?

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Sorry don't know the answer to your question but I do have a suggestion.
    Have one custom built, much more effective than the bolt together kind or the old 4pt style. With the fiberglass roof your safer with a 6pt or more cage instead of just a behind the seat type 4pter.
    Hope this helps.

3. mountainibis

mountainibis Registered Member

The roll bar in my '72 looks like an older aftermarket model. It's a four-point, with the rears mounting to the top of the fender well.

If I'm not mistaken, Smittybilt used to make a roll bar, but discontinued it. There might still be a few lying around somewhere. I'd check with a Smittybilt dealer and see if they can find one for you. If not, I agree with Burt4x4. A custom cage is best.

4. mudslinger97116

mudslinger97116 1/2 ton status

i have a 72 jimmy and a 72 blazer and they both mounted in different places one on top of wheel wells the other on the passenger compartment side of the wells. are you looking to buy one?there is probable someone here that has one for sale(k2k5?)also do a search in this forum on cages there was some post not to long ago.

5. mastercraftkpk

mastercraftkpk 1/2 ton status

S&W makes a nice cage and gives you a couple of options. They also have a "new" rear hoop that connects to their other kits to give you a "family cage". I plan to get one from S&W w/ in the next few months to put in my '72 as soon as I get done painting/rino-lining.

There are a couple active threadstalking about S&W.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. jasonkh2tg

jasonkh2tg 1/2 ton status

The part number you are looking for is BL409 for the roll bar and BL94 for the add on for a complete roll cage....the monting points on the rear of the cage are both the floor and the rear of the fender...The mounting plate bends to the fender ....BL409 is painted black and 100% bolt in BL94 is weld in at the main bar or center bar and comes unpainted and bolts to the front part of the floor...

Smittybilt can be reach at 1-888-717-6170 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

The "factory" orignal bars were mounted to the front of the rear fenders.