Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1st Offroad Experience

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Robert D, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

Well I finally took the truck out this Spring Break to Chalk Bluff near Uvalde, TX. We crossed a riverbed with a gravel bottom and were driving around on the gravel. The truck worked great, and to the suprise of the Jeep-owners I was with it didn't get stuck. Our only problem with the excursion was the Game Warden who wrote us 200.00 fines for crossing a state-owned riverbed. The issue I have is there were no signs, nobody told us at the park to not cross them, and there were hundreds of tracks through the gravel where we crossed. If it is such a problem they should post a sign somewhere. Now 4 of us have to pay 200.00 when we were oblivious to the law. It turns out the law is only 3 years old and I bet they love tagging out-of-towners for it. Such a dirty business.

2. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Look, if you are going in a unfamiliar area you should learn the law. Off roading is getting tight and more and more land is getting lost because of stupid people and tree huggers. If you would have got on the little known database called the internet, you most likely would have found out about the law! Sorry I have no sympathy for the ticket.

Glad to hear your truck performed well though.

3. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Get a lawer and fight it, should only cost $75-$100

4. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

That was a bill that passed a while ago. We lost all priveledges to water crossings.

5. crazyhole812

crazyhole812 1/2 ton status

but the illegal mexicans didn't

6. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

It sucks you got the ticket, but it is our resposibility to know about laws even though sometimes it is hard to do. Find an off road club I am sure Texas has a state 4x4 assc (if they don't they should ) join up with fellow wheelers pick their brains. Also I have found that some officers of the law ( BLM Forest Service mostly) hate off roaders (some don't I know) and can usually find something to give us a ticket for. That law sucks and the only way to change it is with a big group of well organized poeple. BTW I would fight the ticket too :D

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

lol, you should "know the law". I'm sorry, but if there are so many laws in this country that lawyers have to be specialized into certain fields (personal injury, divorce etc) how can any joe-six-pack guy who isn't a lawyer possibly know them all? There are well over 20,000 laws just related to guns...

j

8. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

Tickets suck. I got a ticket on a local lake on my jet ski. I was too close to a swimmer.:confused: I didn't know that law. Paid it.

Not always possible. :doah:

Not trying to throw flames. The specialization is different types of litigtion. Criminal law is a specialty of its own, which incorporates all criminal law of a jurisdiction. Personal injury and divorce are civil law litigation.

Bottom line, "Tread lightly" and its our responsibility to know the local laws and ordinances.

Piece of advice - Don't go to court with the excuse of lack of knowledge. That tends to piss off most judges. You may be able to let the court know about the indications that it was OK and the appearance that you were in a general use area. Most courts have the ability to lower or increase fines depending on the facts.

Good luck.

9. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

I live about 140 miles from the court; so I'll most likely not make a visit. We tried to stop by the JP's office on the way out of town but he was not there. His secretary says he goes as low as 125.00, but he already told one of the guys who was issued a fine that 200.00 is as low as he will go. I just think it is pretty lame to fine people that much when there are no signs what-so-ever out there.

10. chopped&bobbed77burb

chopped&bobbed77burb 1/2 ton status

:haha: :haha: I bet soon the border patrol will be handing out towels so they can dry their backs off :D .

11. onetonbb74

onetonbb74 1/2 ton status

They set up a sting, that sucks, I watched rangers do that once and they were driving through to make the tracks so it looks more obvious its open. Similar thing happened to me and i would fight it. I would drive 140 miles in my yota to see that dirty cop in court and most likely an appearance gets a drop in penalties even if you lose. But I fight ALL tickets no matter where they are.

12. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

How many tickets do you get???

My younger days, I think I bought Phoenix PD a motorcycle by the number of speeding tickets I got. I deserved everyone, except on Thanksgiving. They were supposed to be off.

It'a a consiracy, the Game Worden get's 10% of the proceeds.:haha::haha:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2006
  13. rwright07

rwright07 1/2 ton status

haha i got one on thanksgiving 2 years ago... 11 over down a giant ass hilll....
    gay
    got one 3 weeks ago
    same spot same speed
    F&*&ing weak

14. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

They gave a ticket out for each car that was there. They're making 800.00 off of us...