Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1st post many questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 81jimmyslt, Sep 26, 2003.

1. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

Hi everyone after viewing this site for a few years now I finally got my membership!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I have a few questions I need help with.

1)The biggest ?? in my /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I am saving for a 383 stroker for my truck. I plan to by a crate motor rather than rebuild because my block sux and it would cost as much to put it together. I'm looking to spend around 3500 /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Who would you guys buy from?? I live in Lake Tahoe, CA. anyone know any shops within say 4 hours.
    I've also been looking at these ebay
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Has anyone ever done business with them?
    Tell me what you guys would do I need input?

2)what kind of carb should I put on this thing?
    injection cost so much and then I would need a computer wiring harness...

3)When it comes to cooling I don't think my current radiator will be good enough? Electric fans or flex-a-lite?

4)what about my tranny th350 will it be ok or what do I need to do to beef it up on a budget until I can do real performance mods to it?

5) anything else major I'm forgeting?

Thanks for all your help tell me what you guys would do.
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

For the engine.. I'd buy from Scroggins and Dickey in Fort Worth Texas.. I believe they have the best prices/best engine selection anywhere..
    Here is their site..
    http://www.sdpc2000.com/

And for Cooling.. Just go to the boneyard.. and get yourself a cooling fan from a Ford Taurus.. Those things are cheap and man.. do they pull some air.. I know a guy from San Antonio Texas who did this.. and it's better than paying $300 + for a flexalite or other makes of cooling fans.

3. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah.. how rude of me..
    Thanks for supporting Ck5..

4. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

I've used Scoggin-Dickey as well with no problems. They seem to have the best prices.
    You should check out the new ZZ383. Its not yet in on the SDPC2000 web site, but it is in the new GM Performance parts catalog. Its a brand new standard bore 350 w/ a 3.800" stroke crank to get the 383ci's. They top it off with an mildly agressive cam and some GM Fast Burn heads. Check it out!

5. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

hmmm stock bore with long stroke=long time to rev...

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

TORQUE is the reason.

7. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

carb choice depends what you will be using the rig for??? if your crawling rocks and hills alot...get a q-jet,either from edlebrock or jet performance,if you a flatlander and just go muddin,then a holley is fine or an edlebrock performer series carb.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. 81jimmyslt

Thanks for all the great responses keep them coming /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm trying to find the best all around carb without swithing to fuel injestion.

Has anyone ever had problems buying from ebay motors? bad parts or just ripped off?

Those engines are a little too spendy for my budget (3500)
    but exactly what I'm looking for.

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Not really. I have an Edelbrock and it doesn't really work well. I guess if all you do is deep mud it's fine, but Edelbrocks don't like bouncing at all. Maybe no carb can deal with the kind of bouncing I'm referring to, but my truck seems to act up all the time when I'm all over the stupid pedal in the mud and stuff.

EDIT:

I'm going to try a q-jet one of these days, but it's not high on my priority list. My truck runs pretty good, so all you really have to do is back out of the throttle (which isn't such a bad idea anyway) and let it quit bouncing for a minute and then nail it again. It seems to only happen in rutted parts of the trail where turning and the stupid pedal are involved.

10. toy4fun

toy4fun 1/2 ton status

Try the Holley Truck Avenger, It was designed for a 4x4 I had one but not long enough to tell you if it was any good or not but It seem make sense./forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

11. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

I've yet to see a small block give more low end torque for the money than a 383 stroker or a 400. Both of which have the 3.75" stroke crank. In the June 2003 issue of Chevy Hi Performance they have a mildly built 400 small block w/ vortec heads. The dino sheet they show only begins at 2,300 rpm but the torque there is 471 lb/ft and 206 HP (the cam is a little too agressive). Its numbers top out at 525 lb/ft torque @ 3,500rpm and 428 HP @ 5,000rpm.
    3.75" stroke(or 3.80" in the HT and ZZ383) is the only way to go (as far as small blocks go) as far as I'm concerned.

12. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I had an Edlebrock on my 350,it would stall on steep climbs due to the bowls being on the sides I think. My buddy gave me a Holley, the bowls are in the front and back which still fed the engine during steep climbs. The edelbrock almost sent me to my death! I was climbing a steep trail along the mountain and my truck died. Hence no more power brakes, steering!! I had to ease her backwards down the whole damn trail. I was sweatin bullets /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif After a quick change of my pants I decided to take an alternate route!

13. aj_tatted

aj_tatted 1/2 ton status

I agree with you on the edelbrock, i went through one of those and a q-jet.Go with the holley, their alittle tricky to set in sometimes but for performance it's definately the better. the avenger is a good carb !(i'm running the 650). well for what's it's worth, oh yeah welcome to /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifck5 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

14. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

AJ, I sent you a PM, I am originally from Arlington also. Just wonderin' if we might know some of the same people? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

15. 81jimmyslt

Thannks for all of the great info and a muddy welcome /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

What do u guys think about buying an engine from An Arizona company over e-bay?? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

16. 74beater

74beater 1/2 ton status

BUY THE SCDC MOTOR IT'S BAND NEW..IT'S A NEW MOTOR...

17. 81jimmyslt

you have a link to this motor? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

18. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

19. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Hi everyone after viewing this site for a few years now I finally got my membership!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I have a few questions I need help with.

1)The biggest ?? in my /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I am saving for a 383 stroker for my truck. I plan to by a crate motor rather than rebuild because my block sux and it would cost as much to put it together. I'm looking to spend around 3500 /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Who would you guys buy from?? I live in Lake Tahoe, CA. anyone know any shops within say 4 hours.
    I've also been looking at these ebay
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Has anyone ever done business with them?
    Tell me what you guys would do I need input?

2)what kind of carb should I put on this thing?
    injection cost so much and then I would need a computer wiring harness...

3)When it comes to cooling I don't think my current radiator will be good enough? Electric fans or flex-a-lite?

4)what about my tranny th350 will it be ok or what do I need to do to beef it up on a budget until I can do real performance mods to it?

5) anything else major I'm forgeting?

Thanks for all your help tell me what you guys would do.
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

1-For your first question: engines, I don't really have any experience with any of those suppliers but I usually like to go local so I can see the engine and the person I am dealing with so I can come back and face him if I have a problem.

2-I don't believe in Carbs anymore except Qjets on a mostly stock truck on moderate terrain.
    EFI all the way and with this guy cutomefis.com you can do it for relatively cheap, as much as it would cost you to get a holley with the matching intake you can get the whole deal: computer throtle body, adapters, wiring harness and sensors, and he will calibrate your chip to your engine.

3-Like they said a ford taurus dual electric fan is cheaper and works better in my opinion.

4-The tranny will take some beating before it goes out and by then you would have some money aside for making it tougher.

5-Once you have all that you will want bigger tires and that will put more strain on your axles and driveshafts, and then you will be in deep s***t /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

By the way I am about 2 hours west from you.
    If you need any help, don't hesitate to ask.
    We also have a club NorCalBigDawgs.net that started here if you check the clubs down on this forum.
    There are some around you too.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. chevyman1973

chevyman1973 Newbie

if i was you i would just go throuh gm performance.at any chevy dealership.you can get a fast burn 385 witch is 385 hp for about 2000.and thats all compleat