Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1st TIME BEING TOPLESS!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BlazerWheels, Mar 13, 2003.

1. BlazerWheels

BlazerWheels 1/2 ton status

I am going to take the top off my blazer this spring. It is an '85 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif that has NEVER had it off. (Poor thing) I bought it in October and have been waiting for consistantly good weather, It is finally about here!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. Is there anything I need to be aware of? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif How much does the top weigh? How many buddies do I need to have help? How should I store it so it will fit correctly when it goes back on? Should I buy new gaskets when I reinstall it? Anything else... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

P.S. Before I get raked across the coals for being BLUE, I have to wait until payday to change colors...sorry.

2. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

You and one other person can take the top off, it weighs 185 lbs or so. If the top has never been off before, I believe there is a bolt/locking device deal that you'll have to remove (didn't have it on my '86, but I've heard from other's that it's there). If you're lucky, the cab to topper seal will not shred like mine did. If it does shred, a new one is $50 from the dealer or LMC. To store it, put some 2x4's down and set the top on them as if the 2x4's were the bed rail's. Good luck and enjoy the weather.

John

3. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

first off, i appreciate your plan to go blue, Thx for helping to keep the site alive.... anyway about the Taking the top off, Me and my buddy have done it numerous times with just us 2, i just set it on the ground, and it goes back on with no problems everytime. i havent replaced the gasket yet either, and since i live in oregon, which as you know The heavens are always pissing on us up here, and it hasnt leaked very much if at all....... btw :flipoff: lucky SOB............ i wont be able to go topless for a few more months.

4. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

Blazers have a top!?!? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

5. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

I've taken mine off and put it on by myself, it's not that hard. I will say this though, if you value your paint, this isn't a good idea ;D

6. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

I've taken it off and put it back on by myself several times too. I can be done alone but having a friend that isn't a total wuss is always much easier, and paint friendly. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Anyone that values warm showers and dry seats should also keep an eye on the weather report anytime you plan to have the top off. I almost took mine off yesterday since it's been so nice the past few days. I woke up to a nice loud clap of thunder early this morning and drenching downpour of rain. I'm glad I didn't take it off after all but I wish I had rolled my windows up last night. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif Lucky for me I didn't have to go anywhere this morning.

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Blazers have a top!?!? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yep. Mine has a top 4 months of the year. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    Mines off this weekend for the season if I get a chance.

8. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

mines off and holding up the side of the house, trying to get the front windsheild back in...the guys broke 2 so far putting it back in...

9. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    P.S. Before I get raked across the coals for being BLUE, I have to wait until payday to change colors...sorry.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are we really that bad? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. Orange Crush

Orange Crush 1/2 ton status Premium Member

there are alignment pins near the rear corners of the top you'll need to lift the top up a couple of inches to get it up off of these pins . easy on a stock truck but try it with 8 inch suspension lift and three inch body and 44 inch Boggers /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif wish I still had 31's sometimes

11. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

If you have a garage buy a couple of 2x4's, some of those ratchet straps and eight eye bolts. Loosen all the bolts holding the top on and slide the 2x4's length wise under the top. Affix four of the eye bolts to the ceiling joists and the other four to the 2x4's, attach the ratchet straps to each end and crank them till they lift the top off sufficiently for you to drive out from under. Works as storage for the top too.
    [​IMG]

12. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

I think there are also bolts in the rear coming up from the bottom. For some reason I remember taking them out but not putting them back. Make sure you have the correct torx head with the security pin in them or you'll get the bolts off the rail and have to goto the store for a torx bit. I think its a T-20 or 25 but I could be wrong, I boughrt mine as a complete set for like 10 bucks.

13. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    mines off and holding up the side of the house, trying to get the front windsheild back in...the guys broke 2 so far putting it back in...

[/ QUOTE ]
    He's an idiot and he's doing it wrong.
    You have to put the rubber in FIRST without the lock strip (the chrome trim peice). Then you can work the window into the rubber. Then install the lock strip. There is a special tool to install that and it makes it a LOT easier. My truck was so tall the old guy that put mine in needed help LOL. So I got first hand experiance.

14. BlazerWheels

[ QUOTE ]
    If you have a garage buy a couple of 2x4's, some of those ratchet straps and eight eye bolts. Loosen all the bolts holding the top on and slide the 2x4's length wise under the top. Affix four of the eye bolts to the ceiling joists and the other four to the 2x4's, attach the ratchet straps to each end and crank them till they lift the top off sufficiently for you to drive out from under. Works as storage for the top too.
    [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's definately how I'm doing it!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    This way I can have it done, not need anyone else to help, and best of all I can have it off and done before MY WIFE can stop me. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

15. BlazerWheels

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If My Wife had her way, Mine would ALWAYS have one... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

16. BlazerWheels

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are we really that bad? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No, just thought I'd save a few people the time. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thanks for all your help!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

17. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yep. Mine has a top 4 months of the year. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    Mines off this weekend for the season if I get a chance.

[/ QUOTE ]

i took mine off 2 yrs ago and I forgot where i put it...i Know its not at my place...might be at Rita's mom's house. Dunno /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

18. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

[/ QUOTE ]

That's definately how I'm doing it!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    This way I can have it done, not need anyone else to help, and best of all I can have it off and done before MY WIFE can stop me. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I had to do it like that because I live so far away from the rest of my friends, I could never get them to come over and help me take the top off. Glad I could help.

Lance

19. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

If your seal does tear, don't worry about it since when it goes back on, it's a complete piece again and shouldn't leak. My seal is in about 3-4 pieces without any leaks. Definately watch the weather report if you have carpet, don't worry too much about the seats getting wet just throw some Hefty bags over 'em if it gets Monsoonish. Also, once you take those torx bolts out, throw 'em in the trash, they're worthless.

20. tmaxxer9

tmaxxer9 1/2 ton status

hey i have a 75 blazer and the first weekend i had insurance on it i took the top off and it was awesome. except the part when i got run off the road in the contry and almost flipped it with 3 of my best friends with me and 2 of them were in the back with no seat and no seatbelts, all they had to hang to was the roll bar. i am glad i didn't flip it though i would of felt bad if one of them would have gotten hurt. so needless to say before i do that again i am going to get the seat and some seatbelts in there. just thought i would share my little experiance with you all.