Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1st time gear install 14BFF contact pattern question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DukeBoy88, Oct 21, 2003.

1. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

I haven't installed gears before, but the 14B has a nice design for adjustments so I gave it a try. I followed my instructions and ended up .001 difference in pinnion shim thickness than the gears I removed. the pattern on the drive side of the gear seems pretty dead center but the coast side contact is a long triangle coming from the toe end. is this anything to be concerned with? I don't have a digital camera, but could probably borrow one if anyone needs pictures. thanks in advance.

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yeah pics would help. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif This will also get more views in the Garage forum. I have only done one set so I am no judge on a good pattern.

3. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

4. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

Thanks, that pointed me in the right direction. I didn't have it correct but now it's darn near perfect. thanks again. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. blzr4x4ngkid2

blzr4x4ngkid2 Registered Member

I checked the site out myself. Is the "ideal contact" the one to have? How hard was the whole operation of changing your ring and pinion? I'm thinking about doing my 14FF as well.