Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1st tune-up?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by llegos, Jul 12, 2005.

1. llegos

llegos Registered Member

Let me first start by apologizing, because i am sure that this has been covered before, but i honestly did a search and could not come up with anything.

I am going to pick up my 1969 GMC C15 4speed short-step on friday, and i plan to spend saturday doing a full tune-up on her. believe it or not, this is my first tune-up one my own gas engine(previous car is a 1985 MB 300D) that thing you just change the oil and go.

My questions are as fallows:
    What is the best oil to use? What about synthetics?
    What are the best spark plugs? Wires? Do i need a new cap? The previous owner put MSD on
    Any best brand coolant? I have been happy with sierra, and that is what is used in all our family's cars
    What oil filter?
    Where are the fuel filters stock? What fuel filters should i use?
    It has a K&N, so i am just going to clean that out.
    Anything else i need for a 1st tune up?

Also, how much oil/coolant does it take? I will be ordering some manuals, but they wont arrive for a while.

This is all on 350 V8 with 78k original miles, and does not leak oil as far as i can tell.

thanks a lot in advanced, and once again, i am sorry about this since it has probably been covered a bunch already.

-Steve

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Welcome , brand preference will be different among the various members here .

I personally run Delco plugs in the DD , Castrol 20w50 , Fram or Delco filter ( depends on whats in stock ) , and store brand coolant .

A basic service book will set ya back 14 bucks and have all the various amounts of fluids you need , some years are different . For example my 83 will take nearly six quarts to go to full .

I only run one jug of coolant and the rest water . Works for me in AZ . But 50/50 mix is probably fine too .

Wires and cap from MSD are good pieces , I use store brand because of cost .

Your fuel filter , if stock carb is probably in the fuel inlet of carb , or inline if aftermarket . Some guys run one on the frame before the pump , so look to see if the other owner did .

This is easy stuff , you'll enjoy it . Seems cool to have a Hot Rod truck :D

3. llegos

llegos Registered Member

thanks, i am pretty sure i saw the filter right there on the carb. I think 6 quarts should be fine for me, but i will wait for some more results. I just cannot wait to pick this bad boy up. The first trip(besides the one back home) will be to the autoparts store.

thanks for the advice. I have some pics of her, but im not a full member, so i dont know how to host them...

also, what plug gap do you guys use?

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

One thing I'll mention about the cap and rotor. You'll see if they are bad. They aren't like a plug or wire that may have something wrong internally.

Corrosion, cracks, wear are all problems on the cap/rotor. Corrosion is easily fixed with sandpaper.

If it's got an MSD on it, chances are the cap/rotor are newer, just check them out. Don't spend money on stuff that doesn't need it.

Just to touch on one other part, the fuel filter, if stock, (and a quadrajet) is in the carb, and you need the proper wrench to make sure you get the line off without breaking it. If this is something you want to drive that day, and it IS the stock filter in the carb, my advice would be to leave that alone until you get the vehicle back to where it can sit, just in case that filter change goes bad, (stripped threads, kinked fuel line, etc) which is pretty darn common with the fuel filter in the carb setup like the Q-jet.

5. llegos

llegos Registered Member

thanks, it runs fine, so i will leave the fuel filter alone. I will just wait and put one in the line before the carb when i upgrade.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Not that you asked for it, but cutting the stock steel line is not an upgrade in my book. That is an invitation to a fuel leak, and you know where that can lead.

7. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

i would/do run 5w30 AMSOIL in mine LOVE IT! i run the crap out of mine and is purrrr quite. plus better gas milage and more power

AMSOIL oil filter is one of the best filters. wont colapse and awsome filtering. just by looking inside one, u will be impressed- if nothing else i have to say a must,sport the extra couple bucks.

i also tossed my K/N filter for an AMSOIL filter. better specs and lifetime (if u were to keep either for anything close to that long)

delco plugs, stock gap and heat

MSD wires,ignition-other simple parts are fine- i run champion truck wires just for the ceramic boots.
    check them for wear and clean em up a little if need be, dont always need to be replaced.

stock fuel filter or = is fine

some fuel system cleaner before filter change too. not to sound redundant but AMSOIL make a good cleaner, really pulls all the junk out of ure system. dump tons of different stuff in mine but this stuff pulled more junk out then all others combined.

8. llegos

llegos Registered Member

I meant i will make the switch when i upgrade my carburetor. But i hear you about fuel leaks.

I was planning on useing the stock plug gap, but what is that? I have much to learn about the more minor details of this engine...