Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2 1/2 ton axles

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mudddog91, Dec 19, 2001.

1. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

anybody running these on a chevy blazer or truck used for running the rocks?Ive noticed that you can get a set of these for almost the same price as a set of 1 tons and the 21/2 tons have way lower gears.I know that the diffs are way big but are they too big to run on a truck that will run mostly trails and rocks?Plus how difficult is it to make them work in a chevy?

2. heaj1

heaj1 Registered Member

From what I've heard, they will likely need to be shortened and spring perches moved. If you aren't really worried about the extra weight (mileage) and don't "need" the clearance, I would think they should be fine. Definitely BULLETPROOF. Just my $.02

Jamie

3. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

There were a few J@@ps that had 2.5 ton axles at CALROCS and one of them broke an axle. It was BBC powered with 44's.

David

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.extremeblazer.com>ExtremeBlazer</a>

4. Man, that's insane! Heeps breaking 2 1/2 ton stuff. too much right foot i think.

<font color=blue> Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

</font color=blue>

5. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

They do not NEED to be shortened. If you remove the drum brakes and go with pinion brakes, they are not much wider than 1 ton. And with the drum brakes remoced they are only a little heavier than 1 ton stuff. And, the clearance is about the same as a 14 bolt.

Just a little truth to the 2.5 tons.

Ken H.

'86 K5 in parts
    1-ton 44 TSLs
    454 BBC, 350 trans, 205 transfer
    Rust free in Michigan!

6. ChadH82

ChadH82 1/2 ton status

I've seen a few vehicles with the pinion break and seems it would be easy to get your brake disc pressed against something. The thing is spinning when your wheels are spinning so it could put some big narfs in it. I've seen this happen once. Is there any way to guard the disc?

Chad

7. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

So is it expensive to buy parts for these axles.Are they a pain in the but to swap 'em into a truck?Are they stronger than most D60's?

8. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Parts are not all that expensive, compared to a Dana 60. But just not as easily available. i.e. PepBoys doesnt carry the stuff for you. There is quite a bit of custom work that needs to be done compared to a Dana 60 front. Steering needs to be worked with, spring pads, breaks, etc.

They are stonger than 1 ton stuff. But, unless you are running real big tires and lots of horsepower, I think the bad out weighs the good.

Ken H.

'86 K5 in parts
    1-ton 44 TSLs
    454 BBC, 350 trans, 205 transfer
    Rust free in Michigan!