Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2"-3" lift for 8-lug IFS

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by finnd, Apr 25, 2002.

1. finnd

finnd Registered Member

2\"-3\" lift for 8-lug IFS

So I have my k2500 suburban and want just a little bit of a lift to fit my 33x12.5's under it. I see skyjacker and rough country both do a 2.5" (or something close) but only for the 6-lug 1500's. Even then, they aren't the huge kits like the 4" or more lifts. They only include new differential brackets and A-Arms and a add-a-leaf in the rear.

Do I even really need that with my 2500? I have the plow package so I actually have the torsion bars of a 3500. I was thinking of just cranking up the bars a little bit, then add-a-leaf in the back to level me out. Some had said this will cause the truck to ride like "ass."

Can anyone tell me about how much lift I can get from the T-Bars without impacting the drive?

Thanks,

2. JF 89K5

JF 89K5 Registered Member

Re: 2\"-3\" lift for 8-lug IFS

I have a '94 2500 burb and have thought of the same type of a lift, crank torsion bars and add-a-leaf in the rear. From what I have read over on the Offroad.com, Chevy Fullsize message forum, this type of lift is not the best, but can work. You don't want to crank your torsion bars for more than an inch or so of lift, will cause excessive tire wear and wear on your steering components. Even cranking them at all will cause some wear. Also adding add-a-leafs to the rear with 3/4 ton springs already wil probably cause a real stiff ride. Personally, If I were to do it to my burb, I think I would crank the torsion bars for one inch in the front, and then do a zero rate one inch add-a-leaf in the rear, like Offroad Design offers for Blazers, maybe they will work on a burb, not sure though.

As far as what fits w/o a lift. I have read that 285/75/16 basically a 33x11.50 works. I would gues a 33x12.50 would fit. Depends on the wheel offset, and how serious you offroad the beast.

3. finnd

finnd Registered Member

Re: 2\"-3\" lift for 8-lug IFS

Thanks for the info.

I used to have a 1997 GMCYukon K1500 with no lift or T-Bar adjustment at all and I was running 285/75r16's on it with no problem. The k2500 easily sits another 1.5" higher then my 1500 did, so I am sure i won't have any issues with 285's on there.

My only concern is the 12.5 wide tires. I imagine with just a little tweak on the t-bar, I can get to where I need to be. I think i'll get a used 305/70r16 mounted on my spare and see how it fits, and adjust my suspention acordingly.

About 95% of my driving is on the road anyway, and when I'm offroad, it is still ahunting or logging trail, no rock crawling or anything radical.