Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2" 3"lift

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jsc383, Apr 18, 2000.

1. jsc383

jsc383 Registered Member

2\" 3\"lift

I have a 87 with stock 31s, 700r4, np208 and a sock 10bolt 3.08 rear and i am going to just wuss out and go with the 2.5" or 3" lift and maybe get some used 33" (in ok shape, round) just for riding around muddy farm fields, no rock or hill climbing, and i would use the 31s for on road. at first i thought this could be easy but i keep hearing about reinforcing the front end and extending the brake lines an driveshaft, extend the shocks or get longer ones even for a 3in lift. this is the first time i had a truck worth lifting and i want to find out as much as i can before i go and f&@# up my only truck. so i would like to know what im in for when i do this, and what extra i should go out and buy and if i am going to have any problems with a 2" or 3" lift and tiny 31" runing on the road.

help me im new at this. thanks for any help.

2. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

Re: 2\" 3\"lift

I am going to install a 3" bodylift this easter vacation. I have been up and down these post's about vibrations, broken axels,stressed u-joints, lifting a truck and then lowering a t-case, steeringarms,stretchmarks on steeringboxes and frames, wandering highway-trucks and so on..
    I simply dont have the money now to do all the things that might pop upp after a expensive suspensionlift. I am going to get familiar with whats under her before I jump in.
    Maybe next year I will get the 4" Warn suspensionlift.That will total me 7" and allow room for 35"12,5"
    The bodylift allows me to run 33" 12,5 and that is fine for now.
    Learning as I go along.

[​IMG]<font color=blue>Espen88k5</font color=blue>

3. BillR

BillR 1/2 ton status

How much lift do you need for 35s? Will a 4" lift do the trick?

Blazin' in Flagstaff

4. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

Most people run 6" lifts to clear 35's with no trimming Depends how much flex it has. In the case of a 2" or 3" lift you very very rarely need to change brake lines or drivshafts.Never have to drop the transfer case.Shocks will be needed because the suspention is now further, away most kits come with the right shocks anyways.And the front end reinforcing mostly talked about is where the steering box mounts to the frame.This is a cheap and common fix for 60 bucks.And i have seen a couple of completely stock 1/2 ton chevys with this problem anyways so i don't feel it's completely due to lifts but too thin of metal.

5. smack

smack 1/2 ton status

I just put a 3.5 " lift on my front recently. I did need to extend my brake lines and of course I needed new shocks. The reason I lifted only the front is because when I got my truck it had some weird 3/4ton spring combo in the back and stock springs in the front -- creating a horrible rake! I also have that weird vibration thing in top gear and I had hoped that levelling the truck out would solve the problem. Nope, it is a little better though. Anyway....In my mind, unless your willing to go the extra mile and putting on 35's with new gears, steering correction, brake lines, etc you will definately spend less going with a 3" or less lift and 33"s. Expect, though, to have vibration problems and new brake lines to be safe and of course an alignment.
    Good luck

6. muddking

muddking Newbie

I have an 88 with 33's, 3.08's, TBI 350, and 700R4. I know my tires are too big for my gears, but I have no lift and hardly ever rub. I did beat my fenders back a little and turned out my steering stops so I wouldn't rub my pitman arm. But besides that I have no problems. Highway driving isn't much problem except long hills and such, but a few power adders has made it easier(exhaust, cold air, K@N, timing, etc.). My feeling is to find your 33's and put them on, see how it works on your truck, if you need to lift it, lift it.