Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2.5" BDS Lift Shackle angle/draglink question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by callmewaylon, May 4, 2005.

1. callmewaylon

callmewaylon Registered Member

I just installed a 2.5" BDS lift on my '82 K25 GMC. I did it mostly because the stock springs were totally shot and to gain a little bit of lift. I had to add a long BDS add a leaf to the rear to make it sit a little over level.

First question is that my draglink is now angled down from the steering box to the steering arm. The raised arms I can find are for 4-6" lifts and I'm afraid if I put one of those on I will have it angled the opposite way and it won't help at all. What can I do to correct this.

Secondly, I have been scanning this site for a while and it seems like most of the people think that BDS are the best riding springs with Tuff Country coming in a close second. My BDS's ride somewhat better than the clapped out stockers, but the only one who notices is me. I think it is because of the shackle ange. With the new springs my front shackles angle forward toward the spring. I would think they should angle back away from the spring to allow the spring to flex more easily. It seems like the springs are too short and should be about two inches longer. I'm calling BDS tommorrow to see what they say about it. Any body got any ideas about all this??
    Mike

2. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

if you dont have any bumpsteer then leave the steering alone. you could go with a 2" dropped pitman arm. thats what i used for my 3" lift. easier to install than a steering arm too. ORD sells them BTW.

some people here cut a new hole and move the upper shackle mount farther forward. i might do this one day, not sure if it would weaken the frame tho.

the reason why they are short is causs if they made the spring longer, with the center pin in the middle of the spring, it would push the axle closer to the firewall. seems to me they could make them longer and just offset the holes to locate the axle in the stock position, but maybe this has some adverse affects.

3. callmewaylon

callmewaylon Registered Member

It's funny you say that about making the spring longer would move the center pin towards the firewall, because my axle actually seems to be at least an inch Forward from where it was with the stock springs. Before my tires would almost rub the rear of the front fender wells at full turn and now they almost rub on the front of the fender wells. Figure that one out.