Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2.5 inch lift, BDS or Skyjacker or something else?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kargan, Jun 2, 2003.

1. kargan

kargan Registered Member

Gentlemen,
    Lots of suspension advice on this list and I really appreciate the help as a new K5 owner. My problem
    is that my "new" 1986 K5 has the worst riding 4 inch lift on it...way too stiff, way too bouncy. Truck
    feels sloppy with 35 inch bfgs on it. So, after much debate I've decided to go down. Briefly, I was
    told my truck has an earlier Trailmaster lift on it (the front springs have the following on them: "C4S").
    I went to the BDS site and their stuff looks like top grade stuff. The Skyjacker stuff also looks good.
    Basically, I want the softest, flexiest front springs I can get. I will be downsizing to 34x10.50x16
    Super Swamper LTBs. I would like to add the Hill extended shackles to the front also (3.5 inch total
    lift, right?). Comments please. Also, is there a part number for the OEM brackets for the second (dual)
    shock mount up front? And, finally, anyone running those new Bilstein 7100 reservoir shocks?
    Thanks in advance...

Carmine /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Look into Tuff Country at ORD's sight.

Does your truck really ride rough, or are the roads just crappy? I wanted more from my lift too, then I realized NOTHING rides good on the roads I usually travel.

Give ORD a call, he can hook you up good.

MORE PROFILE please. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

maybe a dumb question... but why not just get a good 4" lift? BDS/tuffcountry? They both use relatively soft springs, so that oughta fix the stiff/bouncy problem ur having.

AFA the oem part number on the dual shock bracket... I dunno... but unless u r gonna be doing desert racing you really dont need more than 1 shock per corner. Bilsteins are great shocks tho...

j

4. kargan

kargan Registered Member

Guys,
    Thanks for the replies. Actually, the ride really is that bad. Very little flex from the front springs.
    Currently have RS9000s on the front. Shocks do seem quite worn out. To be honest, I'm not really
    that impressed with the Rancho 9000s.
    I guess I could just swap in new 4 inch front springs and shocks. It's just that the truck seems
    so clumsy. Oh yeah, bump steer too. Truck pulls real hard to the left when hitting any thing too
    bumpy... I just got a Pro Comp replacement steering arm. Has more curve to it (increased angle)
    than the one currently on it.

Carmine