Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2.5 or 4 inch

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazingboy, Jan 10, 2002.

1. blazingboy

blazingboy 1/2 ton status

I got my 33 inch ssr's mounted in my eagle 589's the other day now I just need to decide on which brand and what size lift I was thinking of procomp but not sure I want to get away without fender triming.I don't do much flexing mostly just mud and light trail stuff.

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

go with a 4", if you go with a 2.5" first you'll regret it down the road. my friend did.

if you have 33"s you won't have to cut the fenders, i don't think. if you don't do a lot of flexin, you'll be fine.

as for brands, the procomp 4" springs are stiff. (i have em) but if flex isn't really important to you, they'll be fine. but they ride stiff. tough country is the softest i've heard. i've also heard good things about sky-jacker soft ride springs (or ez ride, something like that).

--Scott, 1989 GMC Suburban 2500 4" lift, 36" TSLs
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/muddysub>http://community.webshots.com/user/muddysub</a>

3. MR.GADGET

MR.GADGET Registered Member

Depends on what you are going to be doing with it! I run a 2.5 Skyjacker and love the way it rides on the road and off road it has good flex but when I put a winch and brushguard on it I got some tire rub under good flex so I ordered there Fitted add in spring they sell for snow plows and winchs so it should be fine. I have 33x12.5 Goodyear ATS on a AR 15x10 Baja Rims.

IF IT'S NOT AS BIG AS YOU ARE DRIVE OVER IT!!!!!!!!!!

4. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

My '73 (before I tore it down and put on a Glass body) had the Skyjacker 2.5" and 33's. It would rub barley under full Flex. Not even enough to bend any metal. I would go with as low as possible to fit the tires you want. Just my opnion, but anymore is just raising the Center of gravity uneccesarily.
    For my Glass body I've kept the 2.5" lift, and with the loss of the weight, I expect to run 35"'s without problem.

BlazerMan

5. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    My stock '78 had 33" tires on it with no lift.I debated with getting a 2 1/2" or an 4" lift,but finally decided on a 4" and run 35's.Well t.he K/5 has not left the driveway since I bought it.I was going to run the stock diffs(Dana44&amp;12 bolt),but a deal came by and I'm ready to install 3/4 ton diffs.AND NOW another deal has come around and I'm going to run 38" tires(I still have the 35's unmounted).So I would get the 4" lift and hope you don't run into too many great deals.Well gotta go and cut some more fenders.AND I THOUGHT I HAD IT ALL FIGURED OUT, HOW I WANTED TO RUN THE K/5!!!

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Go with a 4". I have a 21/2" lift and I have already started to lift it higher then the 2.5 I started with. The front is up to 2.75 in the front, and 3" in the rear. When I go with 33's (32's currently) I will probably lift it some more. Go 4" that way you don't have to try and get creative with the 2.5" like I am.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

7. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

Go with the 4". It will give you the option of going to bigger tires later. Don't spend the money twice. I had a 2.5" lift with 35"x14" Gumbo monster mudders and some cutting. In the end I pushed it up to 4".

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/chvyhs>WebShot Pics</a>

8. 85HeartBurb

85HeartBurb 1/2 ton status

i would go with the 4" if not you will regret it cause you will want to go higher!!!

NO LOCKER, STOCK GEARS, NO PWR BRAKES, NO POWER STEERING, NO PROBLEM!

HIT IT FULL CHICKEN!!!!

9. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Go 4" My 33's rub with my 3" just going over curbs slowly...

90K5

10. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

i got 33's on my truck atm, no lift, and a little rub turnin in the driveway, im puttin my lift on this weekend (4" BDS) and when my 33's are worn out, im goin to 35's if they rub ill put on a 1 or 2" body. id go w/ a 4" that way theres no possible way 33's can rub.

11. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Keep in mind, if you go with the 4" lift, they'll be more work involved with the brake lines, driveline angle etc. It seems you can put on a 2.5" lift with no other mods.

<font color=blue>Brilliance is like 4wd, it allows you to get stuck in a more remote location [​IMG]</font color=blue>

12. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have/had a 2.5" lift. The driveline angles are ok. I got a little vib, but not enough to worry about. The brake lines are another story. If you flex your rig with a 2.5 you just asking to rip a brake line. Definitly change your brake lines if you offroad. Your best off going with a 4" and dealing with the other problems the going with a 2.5". Trust me. I know from experience.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.