Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2.5 ton Rockwell

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by James90, Nov 17, 2000.

1. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

what do you guys thank or know about 2.5 ton rockwells for a blazer or in genral?

thanks

[​IMG]Go prepared

http://www.trailblazer90.coloradok5.com

2. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Too heavy, and weakish axle shafts...they're "only" 1 5/8" coarse spline, and of 40 year old + metallurgy (read-inferior). If you want beef, getcha a Dana 60 with 1 3/4" x 40 spline shafts. Talk about strength without the weight over a Rockwell!!!!! Bout the only thing a Rockwell does better than a fat shafted 60, is it looks killer under a truck!!!

ken

3. wstolar

wstolar Registered Member

James,

There was a write up on axles in Petersen's 4Wheel & Off-Road on a variety of axles. I think it was the October 2000 issue. There was about one page on Rockwell's, some good info there. I think they are quite robust. The best axle shafts to use are the U-jt style (not the Rezepa or Bendix style). They use a 1550 ujt (or something like that) which is about 5" wide with 1 5/8 cups. Going from memory here, so don't quote me. I think it said that the front weighs 800lbs and rear 700lbs. Consider that these axles were in trucks that weighed in at 12,000 lbs empty, even with the older metallurgy, the shafts will be very 'understressed' in a light weight application as a Blazer, etc..

Walter