Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2.5L Dodge engine question UPDATE W/ NEW QUESTION

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by heavy4x4, Jun 10, 2004.

1. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Just bought a '92 Dodge Spirit (where's the rainbow smiley when you need it /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif) for a DD.

Question:
    Like our trucks, there is a hose running from the valve cover to the air intake tube. (actually, there's 2 on this dodge)
    My problem is this - I'm getting oil coming through this tube and going into the intake. There is quite a bit in the intake tubes and the air filter is pretty soaked. I haven't looked at it too closely yet, but I'm also getting some oil dripping out of one of those lines and smoking on the exhaust manifold (could just be a gasket/o-ring).
    Anyway...what is wrong with this engine? I'll be changing the oil this weekend and want to fix this. Should I just run some oil-flush stuff through before I change it?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

(Sorry if this sounds rambly, but I've got to run)

Thanks

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

Re: 2.5L Dodge engine question

it may be the pcv valve, or it could be excecive blowby. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    it may be the pcv valve, or it could be excecive blowby.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm thinking (hoping) that it's the pcv valve.

Do you mean "excessive blowby" of oil past the piston rings? I don't think it's blowby because there isn't really any blue smoke coming out of the tailpipe.

Anybody else got ideas?

4. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    it may be the pcv valve, or it could be excecive blowby. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ] If it doesn't smoke when accelerating then prolly the pcv valve, you need to replace the pcv valve, then all the hoses affected, and definatly the air filter /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. big83chevy4x4

i mean that the pressure from the chamber is leaking past the rings into the crankcase, oil is getting blow past the pvc and into the air filter. my s10 did this.
    if it is blow by, get rid of the pvc and just run a breather, your air filter won't be soaked in oil after that. i would just check the oil every so often.

6. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Check the PVC valve first, and since the valve will be out run the engine and see how much blowby there is.
    If there is excessive blowby you will notice it.
    If it looks like ya need to install a muffler instead of a PVC valve then that would be excessive blowby.

7. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys.

I'm going to replace the PCV valve and aircleaner and clean out the hoses/intake box.

I'll let you know how things go!

-Steve

8. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I've only driven it about 30 miles since changing the oil, oil filter, air filter, and PCV valve. Seems to have done the trick so far. I opened up the airbox and the air-filter had no oil on it (unlike the one I replaced which was soaked).

Next question:
    Will bad wheel bearings cause complete tire failure? The wheel bearings in the rear of this car are pretty bad (I'm replacing them) and the two rear tires will need to be replaced too. They've both got big bulges, uneven lug wear, chunks missing, and some steel belts visible through the tire /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    Does that just sound like old, crappy tires, or a direct result of bad wheel bearings? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

9. big83chevy4x4

bad bearings will cause a howl, and maybe cause the caster to be off, so the inside of the tire will wear faster. is there cupping in hte tire? that may be because of a bad shock /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

what size tires are on it? i have an almost new set of 195/75? 14s. they were on my sisters car for ~6000 miles before she recked it. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

10. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Well here's the deal:

I bought this car for $800 and the previous owner had a quote to get the "tire problem" fixed. Both rear tires were trashed. One was missing a big chunk of tread, you could see the steel belts in parts of both, the tread surface was very lumpy and uneven - I couldn't even stand the tires up by themselves, they would fall over. So, anyway, this quote was for new rear tires and new rear shocks. I replaced the tires with new ones. While I was replacing them, I noticed that I could get a fair amount of movement/thumping by grabing onto the tire and pushing/pulling on it. So, I replaced the inner and outer bearings on both sides. Then, in an effort to not trash my new tires, I went and bought new shocks. I pulled off one of the old shocks and compared it to the new one - almost the exact same as far as the valving/force it takes to compress it, so I left the old ones in and returned the ones I had bought. And, doing the old push-down-on-the-car-and-see-how-long-it-bounces trick showed that the shocks were doing their job. So, with the new tires and new bearings, I hope my problem is solved. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

11. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

sound like junk tires, if the bearings are so worn that the hubs wobble sideways on the bearing spindle pivot then they are junk and might at most cause outwide or inside tire wear, if the tires arte lumpy treads then the belts have snapped inside and are faulty design failure tires,

if you have exhaust smoke and pressure coming out of the valve cover or anywhere else besides the exhaust then the engine is blowing past the rings big time, alot of chryslers i have seen have this problem and some of the 80s ford 4 cyls too and alot of the 90 or so and up ford 5.0L cars too, rings not seating and/or worn and no it will not always cause smoke out the pipe, i have seen horrible blowby inside the engine being forced out of every hole of an engine yet seen no smoke out the exhaust, it is odd but happens
    oil in air cleaner and intake is a result of rings or valve guides failing, and is a big indication of such occuring, you dont always have oil burnign problem, but look at the plugs anyways

i never use oil flush crap in any of my engines, the stuff does too good of a job, and washes more thna just the carbon out, i have had a billion internally spotless engines in my time and it was all because i changed the oil before it started getting dark, not after, even the engines with way over 100k on them and had nasty black dirty as hell oil in them probably most of their life, untyil i got my hands on them, and they get so damn spotless inside form chanigng the oil often that you pull the valve cover and the heads cast iron looks like brand new,

simply keeping oil clean will keep an engine spotless inside and let it last way long time with no problmes of any kind
    everything you need to keep an engine great shape is in oil, you dont need anything else if you simply keep on top of maintainence, in which is part of the responsibility of owning and operating and taking care of a vehicle, very very very few ppl have any reponsibility skills or cares at all when it comes ot vehicles and operating them,. we all know this but not many follow through.

i highly super doubt that this little spirit was properly maintained ever, but if by some miracle it actually was then it is defective/faulty and needs internal mechanical repair,

i bought a 92 cavalier with 2.2L in 98 for 60 bucks off a guy who was asking where to take a care to scrap where i was employed at the time
    and i asked him how much and he said how much and i came to his house after work and gave hime the 60 and drove off, it had 202,ooo on it and ran and drove perfect and had no rust or dings or anything, orignal sterio in it and all, so i drove it for a few months and then one day on the freeway i was going south on i-55 and poof it died, engine locked up, done, even after it always ran perfect, quiet, smooth, it was only 6 years old at the time, 202k on an american 4 cyl is a trillion miles, but it ran great til the last second, it was taken to oil change every 3k all its life, it got a billion miles put on it every day all its short life,

good luck