Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2.5L heads and shaving them, i learned a lesson the hard way

Discussion in '1983-2005 S-Series models' started by R72K5, Oct 31, 2003.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

had 2.5L head resurfaced .010" and well these engines especially in the s-10 trucks had non adjustable rockers,

well.......

this is a bad thing when shaving head because the pushrods are then too long and they dotn make shorter rods for I-4 engines, sooooooooooo,.

i had ot make spacers for the rocker bolts so it would raise the rocker arms up, what i did was i took a set of 2.5L pushrod guideplates and cut out the circles for around the bolts and put one of them under each rocker bolt on the 2.%L in the truck and it fixed the whoel problem, the guideplates are about .030" thick, but it works, no ticking or anything, perfeclty quiet and STRONG running old beater 2.5L engine!

so when you have a head shaved on a non-adjustable rocker engine you HAVE to use a head gasket shim, i just found this out the hard way

good luck

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

thanks, i was thinking about doing this, before it blew up. it had a slight head gasket leak.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

this one was burnign water on #1 cylinder, that pisotn top was way cleaner than the rest, had the head shaved and that fixed warpage form getting hot, milling head on 2.5L makes a good difference in performance, for sure