Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2.7 ohm load with a 4 ohm amp?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by rjfguitar, Dec 10, 2003.

1. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have my new (3)10W3V2's installed in my custom box with my new arc audio amps bolted to the box and when we were about to hook everything up we relized that I have D4's and with 3 10's the final ohm load is 2.67 and my arc amp is rated at 1,050 watts at 4ohm's. They say it will probably be ok but the amp will run a little warmer but it has a fan built in. Another guy says it will be OK because Arc amps can handle the 2.7ohm load but I'm not sure, it isn't to late to pop out my D4 subs and pay $45 for the restocking fee and get the D6's and be at a 4ohm load. What do you guys think, will I be fine? what would you do? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Are those JLs a dual-voice coil design? (I suspect they are....my series one 10W3s are)

If so, you can come up with a combination of series-parallel wiring combos that should get you closer to 4 ohms.

I'm not a big fan of low-impedence speaker/amp loading.... give the amp what it wants "loadwise", let it run cooler and it will sound better and last longer.

IIRC, JL Audios website will even give you wiring schematics and ohm calculations by model ###.... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. rjfguitar

Yeah, they are dual voice coils. With the owners manual that came with the subs it shows only a parrallel and series wiring schematic that yeilds 1.3ohms and 2.7ohms. So your saying mix and match with the series and parallel wiring? I will see what I can come up with.

4. the excuse

the excuse 1/2 ton status

thats the reason i used a jl amp with mine. the jl amp adapts and can do 1 to 4 ohms. i dont know if bolting the amp to the box is the best idea, it makes it easier to get ripped off by thieves. but your truck is high so they might have trouble seeing it.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Get a MMATS Class "D" amp. My MMATS D200hc is 1 ohm stable. Then you could wire those subs for the 1.33 ohm. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif (Yes, I do like MMATS, but you should get whatever you like.) If you do decide to get a different amp, you can get some good deals on Ebay.

6. rjfguitar

I like Arc audio amps, I personally think that they are the best, thats why I have 2 Arc Audio amps. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I think it will be ok. Today I talked to a stereo shop and the guy said that arc actually says they will handle down to 2.5 ohms on that amp.