Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2.75" or 4.25" Backspacing

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by clubba68, Jul 29, 2004.

1. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

2.75\" or 4.25\" Backspacing

I need to order wheels like NOW so I need a fast response. These are for a 1970 K5 with 3/4 ton axles from a 1974 pickup. The front calipers have already been ground a little bit. I would like to keep the wheels as "deep" as possible (ie. as little backspacing as possible), but I have also heard that little backspacing [ QUOTE ]
    If you go to 2.5" BS you will most likely be into a "reverse center" wheel which would be almost imposible to mount the tire from the outside. Wheels normally have a recess for the bead to sit in on the outside while you are putting the tire on the rim. When you go past a specific ammount of BS (different for all rims but 2.5" is most often reversed) they have to turn the wheel around on the center so the recess is on the inside. Everything works fine and dandy till you put a beadlock on them because the tire shop will just put the tires on from the back of the rim. -Triaged

[/ QUOTE ]What do you guys think? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif
    2.75" and 4.25" are my two choices. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Re: 2.75\" or 4.25\" Backspacing

check the other post. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

3. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Thanks Jeremy.
    Anybody else have any input?

4. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Call the company that you are ordering rims from and ask them if 2.75" BS is a reverse center. Beyond that I would say the less B.S. you have, you wear bearings out faster. Or 2.5" is worse for wheel bearings than 4.25". I'm running 4.25" and have no troubles there.

Why do you want deeper rims?

5. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    you have, you wear bearings out faster.

[/ QUOTE ]
    whats our timeline here?
    when I was doing the rear wheels for my 40 chevy. I was looking at 15 x 12 or 15 x 14 ( I have since redone the tubs and will go for a 20x10)
    and I was speaking with my buddies uncle who has been into cars for 30+ years, he drag races, has done the 4x4 scene and when I asked if I needed to narrow the rear end for the width he said it wouldn't effect it enough to worry about it.

I think with general maintainance it will not be that bad to go with a 2.75 vs the 4.50. You also have to account for tire size and vehicle weight and how the vehicle is treated. (jumping the dunes on 38's will do more damage to them then a 44tsl that just runs the street.)

Theres 2 cents from my pocket.

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

4.25 is really a better wheel, less "swing" to the outside when you turn, easier on wheel bearings, less rubbing on the cab and fenders when you turn, the tires will be under the fenders instead of sticking out, you'll fit down trails easier...

On the plus side for the 2.75" BS... Ummm, they look, like totally dope, dude. Deep dish rims are the shizzle. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

Go with 4.25 for function, 2.75 if looks are more important.

7. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I run 2.75" bs 15x8's and they are reverse. Just about any bs less than 3.5" will be reverse. The neat part is you don't need bead locks as much with a reverse wheel. The drop center is 6" from the outside of the wheel (a standard wheel has the drop center 1" away from the out side). The bead has to slide over 6" now just to blow. As the bead moves over the inside area is getting slightly smaller (pressure is going up) and making it even harder to get the tire to the drop center. I never noticed any extra wear on the bearings, but they sure killed ball joints.

8. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    you have, you wear bearings out faster.

[/ QUOTE ]
    whats are timeline here?
    when I was doing the rear wheels for my 40 chevy. I was looking at 15 x 12 or 15 x 14 ( I have since redone the tubes and will go for a 20x10)
    and I was speaking with my buddies uncle who has been into cars for 30+ years, he drag races, has done the 4x4 scene and when I asked if I needed to narrow the rear end for the width he said it wouldn't effect it enough to worry about it.

I think with general maintainance it will not be that bad to go with a 2.75 vs the 4.50. You also have to account for tire size and vehicle weight and how the vehicle is treated. (jumping the dunes on 38's will do more damage to them then a 44tsl that just runs the street.)

Theres 2 cents from my pocket.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll agree with you here and good points. Perfect world probably not much different in the timeline. I for one will never say that I maintain everything exactly as it should be. For my little corner of the world life just isn't that convenient. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

OK, after hearing a couple concerns on other another forum and on the phone of the wheels hitting the TRE's, I decided to go with the 2.75's. That way I won't have to grind the calipers anymore and also won't have to worry about the TRE's at all. Thank you all for your input. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i have 2.75' backspacing on 15x10s, they are the reversed center. ive test fitted them on my stock k20 and the rear sticks out from the fender 2" and the front 3.5". a problem if you have to run on the road and law requires the tires to be covered.

11. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

hmm, no problems on mine, but they are 15x8's w/ 4.25 BS and 35x12.50x15 SSR's. They have worked out really well for me.

12. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    OK, after hearing a couple concerns on other another forum and on the phone of the wheels hitting the TRE's, I decided to go with the 2.75's. That way I won't have to grind the calipers anymore and also won't have to worry about the TRE's at all. Thank you all for your input. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

4.25" BS will not hit the TREs.

13. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Too late now. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

14. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

the two rigs I know that run em did. One actually cut through his side wall and almost rolled his blazer. 40" truxx's.

15. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I guess the problem with this post is that he never stated what size tires he runs and how wide the rims were gonna be /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

16. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

15 x 10 with a 35x15.5x15 swamper

17. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Spaced that part. What he said. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I hope you like to replace ball joint, and I hope your ball joints are under warranty. 2 guys here in AZ run that combo 2.75" BS and if do some good wheeling they replace there ball joints every 3 months. TheRobZilla gets about 5 runs on a set of ball joints before they are trash.

Harley