Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2 ATV winches to independently load the front suspension?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Sandman, May 19, 2003.

1. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I could not really figure out a good centered way to mount one ATV winch to load the front down. Now how about one on each side? It would be easier to put one on each side of the frame above the axle. It might be handy to just load one side in an off camber climb also. Any thoughts? thanks.

2. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

when my friend and i start buld "project Charlie Daniels" next summer we will be using a hydraulic system with a cylinder at each wheel and an open valving system when off so the cylinders will act like shocks more or less when not being used. i think it will work well being able to indepently contrl each wheel from the driver's seat /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. Sandman

I like that also. I was just looking for a cheap and easier way to do it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

our sport and cheep do not go together /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't exactly consider buying 2 ATV winches cheap......

6. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

I was thinking a way to change suspension heights. You could use two hydralic cylinders in the rear($70 a piece from tractor supply), each acting like the shackle for the leafs. You would also have to install a perpendicular trac bar to control the sway. I havent figured out how to do the front yet sinces the hydros will be in your crotch. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

7. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

i have it all worked out-

Find full droop of springs, under the weight of the axle then set cylinder to extend about 3" more, OR flex out on a ramp and set full extension of cylinder to full drop of negative articulated spring (lowest) then set full compression of cylinder to where tire is 1-2" from wheel well. i would just assume using metal stops welded to stop further extension past set mark, but a 'kill' valve could be used. weld large brackets to axles tube and frame so cylinder has lateral range of motion at axle tube and front to back freedom at top, to decrease pressure on lateral motion. mount cylinders- remove aitr condition pump, modify existing brackets to mount pump. run hoses to control box (i'd mount it where the center console is stock, or have long levers mounted in front of t-case shifter. set the four wheel control levers in configuration of left front at top left etc. then add free flow valve controls to inside of cab. that's my idea.

8. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

Ever take a look at air bags?

9. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

No kidding! If you don't want to link it dump all the leaves but the main. Just my uneducated $.02

10. Sandman

I wanted to compress the suspension. I think the air bags wouldnt have enough pull to do it. Still thinking about it.

11. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

Ahh yes, airbags wouldn't suck the axle in, just drop the ride height, which really wouldn't do much in a near vertical climb.

On a different note I know it can be done with a single winch. I saw the BFG Karnivore in action when CalRocs came to Reno last month. There was one really steep section that only 3 people made it up that day IIRC. The guy piloting the Karnivore attached his front winch to the axle and preloaded the front quite a bit. I know its a competition rock buggy, but it proves it is possible.
    That simpler method wouldn't get you the side to side adjustability though.

Take a close look at some of the hydralic setups some of the rock buggies are using, I think they could provide the best adjustability/control of all.

12. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

How much travel do airbags got? I wouldnt think that much ya know? /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

13. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

i think ive seen them up to 3 feet full extended. it was in a street queen mag though.

14. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

If you run trac-bars, you can mount air bags top and bottom of each trac bar close to the frame and adjust height either way. I've seen a few trucks running this, 2500lb bags for height, 1500 lb bags for dropping the suspension. Its kinda slick because you can adjust height and stiffness with opposing bags. You could centrally mount just about any ram or bag and attatch the top of it down the the center of the axle with a nylon limiting strap, fill the ram/bag and its extension pulls the axle up.

15. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

If you link it when you deflated the air bag it wil drop. We had a guy in our club w/ bags on an EB. For fun he'd ramp it and close the valves so the suspention was locked then drive down. What ever wheel was on the ramp would stay in the air /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif It prob would not work as well w/ a single leaf for locating, but I don't know for sure.