Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2 Batteries

Discussion in 'Audio' started by blazingboy, Feb 18, 2003.

1. blazingboy

blazingboy 1/2 ton status

How hard is it to wire up to batteries to the alternator. I just got some 8 inch mids put in my door with 3.5 in the dash and I got another amp now I need to hook up two Batteries. How hard is it and what do I need.

2. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

welp, there are a lot of posts tellin how to do this, but when i do it, im using a kit sold by summit, the waterproof 200 amp one is $170, the non waterproof 100 amp is $100, its got 3 modes, it isolates the 2nd battery when the truck is off so the stronger battery doesnt suck from the other one, and you basically run everything but the starter from the secondary battery, then its got another mode that i THINK uses both batteries for starting, for quicker, sharper starts, then another mode for when alot of power is needed, like winching. im not 100% sure about all that, but i know it does mostly all that, order a summit, they're free, hope this helps a little, let us know how it all goes.. but you really need a whole new battery for that? how many watts you pullin total, im pullin 1400 max, 800 rms, and i can make it without another battery, it would just be more efficient, and im adding more on later (cb, trail lights, etc)

3. Dale fan

Dale fan 1/2 ton status

I would look at putting a beefier altenator and possibly a better battery on instead of running duals. If your charging system isn't adequate, you won't be able to get the full benefit of the dual batteries, if it is not able to keep them up.

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

That's a good point about duals......most people don't realize that a battery is a LOAD that must be maintained buy the alternator. If you add two batteries you are increasing the LOAD against the alternator.

I haven't spent too much time thinking about dual-battery setups (I'm only pushing 1600 watts!) but someday, maybe I'll add another one with some sort of isolator, so that I can still start my truck after LONG periods of stereo blasting..... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. blazingboy

blazingboy 1/2 ton status

Instead I may get a bigger alternator and get a optima battery that should help me out some.