Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2" body lift question...

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by '72brett, Jan 21, 2003.

1. '72brett

'72brett 1/2 ton status

2\" body lift question...

Hey guys, I am sure some of you are getting tired of hearing questions about lift. However, I am finally seriuos about doing this. I want a 2" body lift for my '72 K5. Right now everything is stock. TH350/np205. When I put in the new body mounts, what (if any) thing will I have to adjust. I was wondering about the lenth of the T-case handle. Will that have to change?? any cables or anything that I have to worry about? I want to know EVERYTHING from someone that has done this. WHAT all has to be moved, repositioned, or whatever, and the HOW. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Thx people. I really appreciate all the help I have received from you. I know once again, you'll come through for me. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

2. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Re: 2\" body lift question...

I haven't done a body lift, but here's what I would assume off of the top of my head:

Fan shroud will need to be replaced/modified or electric fans installed and stock fan removed.

Longer primary cables might be needed for the battery.

Brake lines from combination valve to frame will need to be lengthened.

Transfer case hole in doghouse might need to be modified - As a note, I would jut throw a 2WD "low" doghouse into the Blazer and cut the hole for the transfer case stick in it to keep the boot as close to the original relationship with the transfer case as possible.

Brake light harness might need to be extended (wouldn't need this for 1" of body lift, but might for 2").

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

2" will be reasonable for most things.....the simplest way to anticipate the problems is to "visualize" everything that goes from the body to the frame:

Steering shaft
    Column Shifter (auto)
    Transfer Case shifter
    Brake lines
    Wiring harness
    Fan Shroud
    Bumpers

You can "fake it" with most of the stuff like steering shaft and hard brake lines...you may need to unbolt one of the brackets to allow for some extra "stretch" in the lines, but typically you don't need to lengthen them...

The ones you'll HAVE to deal with are:

Fan Shroud - mine had electric, so I didn't need to deal with this
    Transfer Case shifter = you won't get into 4LO until you clearance the "hump" for the longer throw
    Gear Selector - You'll need to weld-in another 2" to the rod...there won't be enough there to accomodate a 2" lift.
    Bumpers - Not a functional item, but they will look Uber-Stupid sitting 2" below the body....it's all custom work to re-position them. I've done my front so far, but the rear still needs to be done.

4. aksidentproan

aksidentproan 1/2 ton status

When I did my 2" body lift I had to do four things.

1. Loosen the steering slip joint and let it extend about 1 inch.

2. Make the hole for the T-Case shifter bigger in front(4-low) and in the back(4-Hi).

3. Lengthen the clutch rod that goes to the bell housing.

4. Cut the bottom out of the fan shroud.

Evan

5. '72brett

'72brett 1/2 ton status

THANKS a lot greg, and accidemt man. That helps me a lot! I can easily do all that and I should have no problem with any of that. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

GREG- is there any way you could get a picture of your custom fabbed bumper mover? I could figure it out for myself, but it may take a lot of trial and error. If you could and would, it would save me a lot of time if you could post some pictures and give me the measurements of it all.

I talked to my dad about gettin ahold of some aluminum for me, but he didnt like the idea of me making them, or even putting a lift on. He wants me to use the polly mounts when I do this. Anyone have a good price on the polly? and a place (phone # or website)?

Also, when cutting room for the T-case handle, O, nevermind, I will figure that out. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

6. Greg72

The main thing with the bumper lift is that the lower part of the bumper will hit the frame horn when it's raised 2"....so you can either cut "notches" in the bumper to clear the frame horns, or cut the ends of the frame completely OFF, and come up with a whole new mounting system....

I chose the second option, and built a custom receiver hitch (which is visible in my Member Gallery) and incorporated the raised bumper mounts into that. It's not the kind of thing I could easily explain, but maybe I can find a clearer shot and put it in my gallery for you......

7. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

what they above was said. make sure you do what aksidentproan did or you'll break things. i have an auto and had to readjust my shifter rod. no big problem. the other is the Xcase shifter hole. you'll be limited when in 4wd low.

ARQ.

8. TheBlazerKid

TheBlazerKid 1/2 ton status

I installed a 2" body lift on my buddys ford explorer and it would have gone real smooth EXCEPT that all the body bolts were rusted solid and all but two broke. and the core support was rusted into two pieces, so when we went to loosen the front mounts the whole thing just collpased into itself. We still managed to get it in in 14 hours. But if that would not have gone wrong it would be a piece of cake. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. '72brett

'72brett 1/2 ton status

Hey, thx guys! that all really helps a lot. I went to my dad about checking into some polly spacers. He is pretty worried about the center of gravity I guess. I am still planning on it anyway.

Greg- I can't view the member's pictures since I am not a member (I guess that is the problem) I can see the small thumbnails, but no larger. I was also planning on building my own custom receiver hitch. It seems that no one makes them, or at least a reasonable priced one. I am planning on going down behind the barn and cutting one off the frame of what ever I can find back there. So, from then on I will do what you did and cut the "points" out and make my own bumper mounts. Anything special required with the front bumper that I need to know about?

10. '72brett

'72brett 1/2 ton status

Greg- I just went to your members pictures and i could see them alright, but I dont see any of your bumper mounts or your custom receiver hitch

11. Greg72

Here's one I just put back in the gallery:

[​IMG]

I re-used "factory" holes to secure to frame, but the frame has been cut back quite far. Also, the triangular shapes are the new bumper mounts to compensate for the 2" body lift....

Hope that gets you started....I keep having to delete stuff from my gallery, I have probably close to 1000 photos I could share, but I always hit my 2MB limit too fast!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif