Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2" body lift.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by riz, May 7, 2000.

1. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

2\" body lift.

I want to install a 2" body lift in my 82 but alot of you guys/gals don't seem to like body lifts. How many have body lifts and for those who don't.....what don't you like about them. I have a 4" Trailmaster suspension lift with 33" Dunlops right now and want to go to 35" swampers. Since I just had a baby girl, I wanted to get 2 more inches of lift without dropping a whole lot of cash. God knows I need $ for diapers. All kidding aside, please tell me what you think. I have a 2" body lift lined up but want to get your info too.

L8r,

.Riz.

Don't let your alligator mouth get in the way of your chipmunk nuts !

2. 78k5

78k5 1/2 ton status

Re: 2\" body lift.

I had a three inch body lift on a 4runner at one time and it made it harder to make any changes to the bumpers or various things because the body was now higher. A lot of companies do not make accessories for body lifted vehicles, also I had trouble with my floor shifter for my 4wd. I had to make it longer but it still gave me trouble. After the initial problems I had with it were dealed with I had no other problems with it and it will probably last the life of your vehicle if you decide to do it.

3. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I think it depends on how hard you 'wheel. A body lift makes it easier for the body to pivot and shift on the frame. For mainly street and mild offroading, it usually isn't a problem.
    If you jump your truck or thrash it alot, bad things could happen. And of course the bumpers look funny if you don't correct them, fan shroud clearance and shifter length are all affected too.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

4. MuleMaster

MuleMaster 1/2 ton status

Perhaps You want to check the guideline on Chucks Chevy Truck Pages: http://www.chuckschevytruckpages.com/bodylifts.html. I know, a how-to was not matter of Your question, but Chuck describes all neccessary mods and writes about the change in handling, so perhaps it's interesting for You though.
    We installed a 3" lift to The Mule, I just liked the thought of making it higher. Can't tell You how I like it by now, because my truck is still at the paint shop and will be back on the road in about a month (hopefully).

CU
    MuleMaster

Chevy Truck - Like A Rock!
    <font color=blue>http://www.geocities.com/projectmule/</font color=blue>

5. walrus101

walrus101 Registered Member

the way i look at it is- body lift is for looks, and sus. lift is for using. you don't gain any ground clearance or wheel travel. since you all ready have a 4in sus. lift; i personally think if you want the bigger tires then go for it. save the money and then get a sus. lift later. i think you are on the right track- take care of the little one first!!!!!!!! 2in is not that bad to notice the gap between the frame and body.

walrus101

goo goo gaju