Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2" body lift

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by walt88, Nov 2, 2000.

1. walt88

walt88 1/2 ton status

2\" body lift

I ordered a 2" body lift kit. i know a 2" requires both linkages to be extended. I am having a garage do the lift, what should i tell them to do that they wouldn't know about?

Keep the shiny side up, and the greasy side down.

2. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

Re: 2\" body lift

<font color=purple>What are they charging you to put it in ? I'm thinking of having a shop put mine in too soon.</font color=purple>

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

3. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Does the shop know anything about installing body lifts? How many have they done? Who made your kit? Your fan shroud may/most likely have to be trimmed. And your radiator hoses may need to be lengthend. Along with you gas filler lines. Check your steering too, we used a spacer on my buddies till he could get a lengthend shaft. He has a 3" kit though. Some/most of this stuff should have come in the kit. Check your battery cables to see if they need to be extended too. Your bumpers will have to be raised, mostly a "looks" issue. There is a bundle of wires that goes up the drivers side that MUST be allowed to stretch. If you abrate these you will lose your fuel pump and other little gremlins will appear.

4. walt88

walt88 1/2 ton status

I don't think the shop has done many. i ordered the kit from 4x4 Wholesalers. Now I am a little hesitant about doing this. I hope all that stuff comes in the kit. They said it is the most complete kit you could get.

Keep the shiny side up, and the greasy side down.

5. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

They are super easy to put in. I suggest if you have the time, a few buddys and a few hand tools you could do it yourself. I put mine on my 86 Chevy Truck. It only took me an afternoon to put it in. You may have to take it too someone who has a welder to put in the tranny linkage extension in. Other than that its super easy to put in.

Dazed and Confused in a 74 Blazer

Zeppelin

6. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple>Well, I've changed my mind about having a shop do mine, I though if the price wasn't too bad, I'd have somebody do it since I don't have much free time as of late. I've done them before and they aren't that hard unless the bolts are real rusty. I called a shop near me and they said they would charge around $1000.00 bucks to put one in !! ARE THEY INSANE !! $1000.00 !!! I basically said they were crazy to charge that much but the guy I was talking to said that's what everybody would charge. If they knew what they were doing, it wouldn't be hard at all for them to do one, I just couldn't beleive they would charge that much ! Do it yourself !!

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I agree doit yourself! Also you may want to consider replacing the body bushings also! Energy make a kit for all the body mounts! Oh and hopefully you will get new carage bolts with your lift kit.If not replace them too by running down to your local HWere store.
    Good luck

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com

8. KING K5

KING K5 1/2 ton status

I know some of you don't like 4WPH but they charge $300 to install a 3" body lift, just my 2 cents!

9. 1HIHUM

1HIHUM 1/2 ton status

They are not hard at all. I put mine in over a weekend( doin' other stuff at the same time) I made a new tranny shift rod from metal bought at the harware store. And I didn't see anyone mention the speedo and ebrake cables...watch them for length as well. Good luck.

10. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Like everyone said, do it yourself. So easy.
    Riz, $1000 for a Body lift??? RIP OFF is all I have to say about that. Man, if yall lived near me, I would charge like $200 to do it. That's me though. There is a shop around me that charges about $300 do it.
    Boss
    http://www.boss.coloradok5.com

[​IMG]

11. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple>Boss, I S#!T you not....$1000 clams ! They are out of theirs minds ! The only reason I was looking into is was that time lately for me is rare......6 mo. old girl that's teething. I'll still squeeze the time in soon and do it myself. I've done them before and they aren't that bad, just time consuming.</font color=purple>

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>