Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2 bolt or 4 bolt?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 78Blazer, Jul 30, 2001.

1. 78Blazer

78Blazer 1/2 ton status

How big a deal is it between these 2 I have a chance to buy a 2 bolt cheap how much hp can it handle?

Scott
    78blazer

2. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

I was told by a machinist that its really no big deal until you get over 400 hp. He builds engines for the dirt track guys here in Louisiana. I have a 2 bolt right now pushin about 330 or340 hp and have had no probs at all. If later you feel you need a 4 bolt, they even make 2bolt to 4bolt conversion kits. You have to have a machine shop do the work, but at least you can still use the same block.

3. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

Unless your building a 600+ hp, high revving monster K5, the 2 bolt will handle it. The 4-bolt has it's attributes and is a good find when you can find one, but a 2-bolt will do. Of course I say this cause I have a 4-bolt, but with with the exception of building a 383 stoker, I'd use a 2 bolt in my K5. My .05

4. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

A two bolt will be fine in a K5. One way to increase the strength is to use studs instead of of head bolts for the main caps. You can pick up a ARP stud kit for around $50 or more depending on the engine from Summit.

74 Blazer
    Zepplin
    Check out my Blazer <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/zepplin1976>http://community.webshots.com/user/zepplin1976</a>

5. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

I have a friend who has been building engines for 15-20 years (mostly small and big block Chevys) and he said he has never seen a crank blow off the main caps. He said it is a nice selling point, but that is about it.

<font color=red>Land use issues are the heart of our sport.
    Get involved or lose the sport.</font color=red>

6. Andreas

Andreas 1/2 ton status

The 2-bolt to 4-bolt conversion 4x4blazer talks about is called "Splayed Caps", and that´s a BEEFY set-up (and expensive). No need for 4-bolt unless you´re thinking of supercharging. The mentioned ARP studs is a good thing, as well as upgrading the rodbolts to ARP.

Andreas

406cui of pure sh*t[​IMG]

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Splayed 4 bolts are stronger than stock 4 bolts, since the splayed caps place the two bolts into more, stiffer block material. 2 bolts will last in just about anything.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen

8. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    I have wiped cams, burnt pistons, spun bearings, broken rods, shattered cranks, punched holes in the side of the block, but have never pulled a main off. For the average home engine builder you will never build anything big enough to even deflect the mains. Takes boost, juice and and lots of stupid pedal to do that! Dont worry about about it.

"There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness"
    Luke
    84 K5